Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 10 [All]

Author Topic: Having Second thoughts.. SEUltra or  SERK  (Read 13654 times)

SilverDawg

• Elite CVO Member
Having Second thoughts.. SEUltra or  SERK
« on: January 20, 2007, 05:49:32 PM »

:-/

Man oh man, I am now thinking I may want the Ultra vs. the Road King.  I keep going back and looking at both and for a few grand more, I could get the ultimate touring bike.  I called my dealer (great guy) and he said that they will probably not be getting anymore SE Ultras this year  (or maybe very late in the MY) even though they are getting ready to move in to a new store in March.  I refuse to pay over MSRP.  I still have my SERK on order, but now feel I must at least explore the possibilities of getting an Ultra.

If I do decide to change my mind (too much time from the time I sent in my deposit until receipt ;D) can any of you recommend a GREAT dealer that I could get one from?  I would want the Black or the Red, and not the blue. It would probably have to be a phone transaction if it is too far away.  Is it possible to buy one and have it drop shipped to my local dealer for the mods?    It would have to be a dealer that one of you would really trust to do the right thing.

[smiley=nixweiss.gif]HELP

« Last Edit: January 20, 2007, 11:52:30 PM by Cobaltman »
2008 FLHTCU Candy Red Sunglo -ABS/Security/SERT/V&H ovals
2008 FXCWC - Pacific Blue Pearl Deluxe-SOLD

The poster formally known as Cobaltman...

"As I grow older, I pay less attention to what men say.  I just watch what they do." - Andrew Carnegie

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Re: Having Second thoughts.. SEUltra or  SERK
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 06:07:14 PM »

Can't help with the dealer but I can tell you that I had a RK and went to the SEEG. I would never go back! The comfort over the RK with the batwing and having the stereo is great. Good luck on your search.

sponserv

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 06:19:19 PM »

I have an 07 cuse and an 02 serk. No comparison. The cuse is pure luxury. If you plan on taking some nice trips or at least some overnighters.....cough it up for the cuse. Get on the phone and find one. In my opinion black is the way to go. Very classy and all Harley.

Once you find the bike have it shipped to you. Your local dealer will then be more than happy to help you spend more money on the bike.

Have fun.....life is not a dress rehearsal.
02 FLHRSEI Purple
88 Signature Edition Carrera
07 FLHTCUSE2 Black and Orange
04 4 Slide Holiday Rambler Navigator
04 Black 1500 4wd Silverado
02 Grady White Gulfstream 232
Lots o' toys but no time to play

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2007, 07:10:21 PM »

Well CBM, Counterpoint! I've had 4 RK's since '95 and this SERK is my 5th. In late '97, I traded in my '96 RK for a '98 EG. I kept it about a couple of months until they got a Black RK in, and got rid of the EG immediately. Didn't  keep it for more than 2 months. Didn't like a Fairing bike at all (liked the radio, that's it). Didn't like the Tourpak. The whole bike is top-heavier than a RK and heavier overall. I felt like I was on a 2-wheel convertible, not on a motorcycle.

So, it's apparent that HD knows their market very well. That's why they make both types. And a third type (Glide) with the fixed fairing. Only you can decide which one you're gonna like for the long haul. No one else can tell you this CBM. You gotta live with it! that's my $.02! ;) Hoist!
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2007, 07:32:00 PM »

Well CBM, Counterpoint! I've had 4 RK's since '95 and this SERK is my 5th. In late '97, I traded in my '96 RK for a '98 EG. I kept it about a couple of months until they got a Black RK in, and got rid of the EG immediately. Didn't  keep it for more than 2 months.[highlight] Didn't like a Fairing bike at all (liked the radio, that's it). Didn't like the Tourpak. [/highlight][highlight]The whole bike is top-heavier than a RK and heavier overall. I felt like I was on a 2-wheel convertible, not on a motorcycle.[/highlight]
 Hoist!

Hoist

Your ok with the R/K
In order to appreciate a real touring machine you need to mature and grow up some more. All us Electra Glide and Road Glide owners know that your day is coming. We are having fun watching you come of age and knowledge. And with that knowledge comes a purchase of an E/G or R/G eventually.
Have fun with the R/K but don't fight it when the maturity finally hits!

And Cobaltman,
buy the Ultra, you will not regret it!

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2007, 07:42:49 PM »

Hoist

Your ok with the R/K
In order to appreciate a real touring machine you need to mature and grow up some more. All us Electra Glide and Road Glide owners know that your day is coming. We are having fun watching you come of age and knowledge. And with that knowledge comes a purchase of an E/G or R/G eventually.

And Cobaltman,

Thanks Chip, I guess that's gonna be a while though! I don't plan on growing up any time soon! ::) I did try it in '98 as I stated. However, it's just not for me. I'll keep it in mind, if maturity ever does hit! ;) Hoist! 8-)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

TCinVA

• Elite CVO Member
  • FINALLY!

• CVO1: 2007 B&O FLHTCUSE2
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2007, 07:45:47 PM »

Hoist

Your ok with the R/K

Ouch, Howie.  Sounds like Silver-Black is saying your getting older.   Happens to us all  :'(.  
CBM - for what it's worth, I'm on my second Ultra and waiting for a B&O CUSE.  If I ever mentioned anything other than an Ultra, my bride would probably pin my ears back.  She loves the comfort.  
I love the RKs, too, don't get me wrong, but for me (and the bride), with the type of riding we do, I'll stick with the geezer glide  ;).
TC

And Cobaltman,

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2007, 07:56:32 PM »

Cobalt, your question is kind of like one guy asking another which woman he's going to like best when they are both admirable.  Since riding both (bikes) is often difficult (wait, bikes?, yeah, bikes) and even problematic (yes, bikes) sometimes a guy just has to pick.  But help someone else make that choice?  Hell, Howie will be grown up before I'd make that choice  ;D .

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2007, 07:59:28 PM »

Ouch, Howie. Sounds like Silver-Black is saying your getting older. Happens to us all .
CBM - for what it's worth, I'm on my second Ultra and waiting for a B&O CUSE. If I ever mentioned anything other than an Ultra, my bride would probably pin my ears back.

TC

Yes age is a consideration but I bought my first Electra Glide in 1988 when I was 34 and have had one every since. In 88 it was called a geezer glide but it was strange when all the guys depended on the geezer glide to haul their stuff. (and for Hubbard, even the 88 Electra glide had a S&S carb and Sifton cam and Paucho exhaust. So it never ends) So owning an Electra Glide or Road Glide is a smart move that wise men take.

Look at what is Harley's best selling bike!

[smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

jMho

« Last Edit: January 20, 2007, 08:01:43 PM by Silver-Black »

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2007, 08:00:44 PM »

Cobalt, your question is kind of like one guy asking another which woman he's going to like best when they are both admirable.  Since riding both (bikes) is often difficult (wait, bikes?, yeah, bikes) and even problematic (yes, bikes) sometimes a guy just has to pick.  But help someone else make that choice?  Hell, Howie will be grown up before I'd make that choice  ;D .

Don't worry Don, you won't have to. I'm never growing up!!! Getting old yes, growing up, no! ;) Hoist! 8-)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2007, 08:05:24 PM »

TC

Yes age is a consideration but I bought my first Electra Glide in 1988 when I was 34 and have had one every since. In 88 it was called a geezer glide but it was strange when all the guys depended on the geezer glide to haul their stuff. (and for Hubbard, even the 88 Electra glide had a S&S carb and Sifton cam and Paucho exhaust. So it never ends) [highlight]So owning an Electra Glide or Road Glide is a smart move that wise men take[/highlight].

Look at what is Harley's best selling bike!

[smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

I realize everyone's entitled to their opinions. Growing up, maturing, that's one thing. Buying a Full Dresser does not necessarily a wise man make you! No matter how mature or immature you are. ;) Hoist! 8-)

Ghost Rider

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM # WHORE

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Kermit
    • CVO2: 2015 Victory Ness Magnum #31 of 299
    • CVO3: 2013 Can-Am Spyder RTS
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2007, 08:05:58 PM »

I am going to back up my boy Hoist here.

Both of these bikes are in the "touring family" but they are totally different.  To answer Colbalt's question, I think he needs to ask himself, "what kind of riding am I going to be doing?"  I went from an Ultra to the SERK.  The ultra was great for long trips, but I was only taking one or two long trips a year.  The majority of my riding is weekend pleasure rides, and comuting.  I, like Hoist, found the top heavy weight (especially loaded) to be a real detriment, especially when you had to ride through congested areas.  I loved the radio, but I never used the CB, or the intercom.

Anyway, so if Cobaltman is planning on doing several long trips each year, he will probably be happier with the SEUC.  If you are looking for lighter more agile bike, stick with the SERK.   [smiley=soapbox.gif]

The only real solution is to buy one of each.   ;)

I have some sincere doubts that you will be disappointed with either one.  Go with your gut, your first instict is almost always right.

Later,
Ghost

TCinVA

• Elite CVO Member
  • FINALLY!

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2007, 08:08:02 PM »

Silver-Back,
I'm with ya'.  I've been told by a couple of dealers that over just the last five years, the shift from Softails to touring bikes have been staggering.  Better than 50% of the Big Twin market is now riding touring bikes (of course that includes RKs), but the Road Glides and EGs are the best sellers.  It appears that us Baby Boomers are looking for wider seats  ;).  Most of the metric guys are building bikes that closely resembles the Softails and RKs, but there's no mistaking that batwing fairing for any other cycle.
TC

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2007, 08:08:21 PM »

Don't worry Don, you won't have to. I'm never growing up!!! Getting old yes, growing up, no! ;) Hoist! 8-)

Someday we'll find a front porch somewhere to drag our aged asses and dirty minds out to, limp out to a comfy chair, whistle at the girls that go by, and bitch loudly about who has to ride in the sidecar that day  [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] [smiley=drink.gif] [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] .

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2007, 08:08:38 PM »

Hoist

Don took a very politically correct position on this subject (and I applaud him for it) but facts don't lie.

Hoist don't forget what Don rides and remember what he use to ride.

[smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Sorry Don,
You opened that one up and I was standing in the door and I was feeling the love! ;D

Bet your sitting there thinking, how did I get dragged into this?

must be your lucky day!

« Last Edit: January 20, 2007, 08:11:19 PM by Silver-Black »

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

TCinVA

• Elite CVO Member
  • FINALLY!

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2007, 08:11:49 PM »

Later,
Ghost

What a diplomat ;).  Of course, why didn't I think of this.  Now I remember - the bride keeps reminding me I can only ride one at a time-bummer  :(
TC

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2007, 08:13:03 PM »

Both of these bikes are in the "touring family" but they are totally different.  To answer Colbalt's question, I think he needs to ask himself, "what kind of riding am I going to be doing?"  I went from an Ultra to the SERK.  The ultra was great for long trips, but I was only taking one or two long trips a year.  The majority of my riding is weekend pleasure rides, and comuting.  I, like Hoist, found the top heavy weight (especially loaded) to be a real detriment, especially when you had to ride through congested areas.  I loved the radio, but I never used the CB, or the intercom.

Anyway, so if Cobaltman is planning on doing several long trips each year, he will probably be happier with the SEUC.  If you are looking for lighter more agile bike, stick with the SERK.   [smiley=soapbox.gif]

I have some sincere doubts that you will be disappointed with either one.  Go with your gut, your first instict is almost always right.

Later,
Ghost

Exactly Travis.  That's why I've decided the SEEG Tri-vertible is the perfect bike.  Full King Pak on for long trips.  Semi-useless but better looking chopped pak for short weekenders.  Stripped down to backrests and much sleeker lines for a day or two or screwing around locally.  The adverstising slogan would be: "The Tri-Vertible, When you want to have it all but can say Phuck the CB."

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2007, 08:13:23 PM »

Hoist

Don took a very politically correct position on this subject but facts don't lie.

Hoist don't forget what Don rides and remember what he use to ride.

[smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Sorry Don,
You opened that one up and I was standing in the door and I was feeling the love! ;D

must be your lucky day!

LOL!  Yeah, I'd like to see Don go back to a RK after enjoying his 1,000 watt stereo, lowers that keep his feet dry, and tour-pak to put truckloads of chit in! [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2007, 08:14:16 PM »

What a diplomat ;).  Of course, why didn't I think of this.  Now I remember - the bride keeps reminding me I can only ride one at a time-bummer  :(
TC

TC

Always remember, it's easier to get forgiveness that it is to get permission!

[smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2007, 08:15:53 PM »

LOL!  Yeah, I'd like to see Don go back to a RK after enjoying his 1,000 watt stereo, lowers that keep his feet dry, and tour-pak to put truckloads of chit in! [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]

Exactly

Like that's going to happen!

[smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

I was having a nightmare that Don was riding a R/K to Hot Springs!
Wake up Chip, are you ok,
Yeah Yeah, what happened?
Chit , you fell off that turnip truck and hit your head and was having a nightmare!!!!
 :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
Thanks guys for rescuing me, damn what a nightmare!

[smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

« Last Edit: January 20, 2007, 08:27:31 PM by Silver-Black »

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2007, 08:21:03 PM »

Sorry Don,

Not at all  ;D .  [smiley=drink.gif]

Hell, Howie and I have even talked about the whole SEEG versus Road King conundrum.  

I readily admit I like this red bike better than any I've had.  Even better than my last Road King.  And I LOVED that bike.  I liked this bike to begin with.  And I absolutely adore it now that it's fully tweaked in to just what I want it to be and adjusted to the ways I want to use it.

One of the big things that makes all that so though is the whole "tri-vertible" thing I was joking about previously here.  The way I've got this beast rigged I can cover just about all those bases.  It's like uber-Road-King with the paks and lowers off if I'm so inclined.  And it goes through several steps all the way to lite-Ultra (no big lights on the back and no CB) when everything and the King Tour Pak are hung back on it.

It would actually be a very very hard choice for me to have to take a full on Ultra, permanently fixed that way, over a Road King.  The great thing is that with the red bike I don't have to.  So it might seem like a diplomatic middle ground, but I actually ride that choice in this case  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] .

TCinVA

• Elite CVO Member
  • FINALLY!

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2007, 08:21:40 PM »

TC

Always remember, it's easier to get forgiveness that it is to get permission!

[smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
Silver-Back,
Yeah, I've played that card a few too many times in almost 35 years of marriage.  Everytime I start thinking about sneaking a second ride into the garage, I get that "John Bobbit" feeling in my nether region :-/....
TC

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2007, 08:25:40 PM »

Yeah, but the kick ass option is I'm rigged so I don't have to pick between them  [smiley=drink.gif] [smiley=mango.gif] [smiley=drink.gif]  .

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2007, 08:28:51 PM »

I was having a nightmare that Don was riding a R/K to Hot Springs!
Wake up Chip, are you ok,
Yeah Yeah, what happened?
Chit , you fell off that turnip truck and hit your head and was having a nightmare!!!!
 :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
Thanks guys for rescuing me, damn what a nightmare!

[smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

DUH

Take me drunk, I'm home! ;D

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2007, 08:31:37 PM »

Silver-Back,
Yeah, I've played that card a few too many times in almost 35 years of marriage.  Everytime I start thinking about sneaking a second ride into the garage, I get that "John Bobbit" feeling in my nether region :-/....
TC

OK TC

Let me work with you here!
I'm thinking your wife needs a bike of her own. Maybe a S/E  R/K
But you will have to maintain it which calls for many test rides!
Am I headed in the right direction?

[smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2007, 08:35:41 PM »

Hey Chip. I think you and I are about the same age. My other 2 bikes still have Sifton Cams and S&S carbs. I ain't no kid but I kinda know what I like. Damn, you're running a 140HP softail! You won't catch me on no softail. That's me. Are you too old and mature for a 140Hp softail? HELL NO!!! That's your passion. I got my passion too! I take my Touring bike coast to coast. I'm quite comfortable. And like I said, I didn't like my Electra Glide. That said, there's absolutely no way for everyone to agree on this subject. Otherwise, they'd only need one model. ;) Hoist! 8-)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2007, 08:36:44 PM »

OK TC

[smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Now THAT is the suggestion I almost made to Cobaltman.  The Ultra for him and the Road King for his significant other (that would need regular test riding by him to make sure it is safe for her).  But he seemed really interested in an actual response.  So it seemed prudent not to take the thread too far off cour.........    Oh, wait, I foget where we were here  [smiley=duhk.gif] !

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2007, 08:37:47 PM »

DUH

Take me drunk, I'm home! ;D

[smiley=drink.gif] [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] [smiley=banana.gif] [smiley=carrot.gif] [smiley=orange.gif] [smiley=apple.gif] [smiley=mango.gif] [smiley=pineapple.gif] [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] [smiley=drink.gif]

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2007, 08:39:44 PM »

there's absolutely no way for everyone to agree on this subject. Otherwise, they'd only need one model. ;) Hoist! 8-)

Yeah, and they frakking can't have mine.  It's already spoken for, dammit :P !

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2007, 08:44:58 PM »

I gotta calm down,
keep this chit up and my post count will get above 5 a day

H E L P  [smiley=confused5.gif]

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

SilverDawg

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2007, 08:58:17 PM »

Twolane,

Thanks for the reply, but I was not really asking for help on the choice as much as I was asking where I can find a dealer that will sell one AT MSRP!! [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]  My guys are out for the year on the Ultras.

I know this group has some great experiences from dealers that will not try to rip you off and pay over MSRP for these bikes.  First I have to find someone that will sell one, then I have to make up my mind.  However, I do appreciate the opinions all are providing.  It helps me.

"As I grow older, I pay less attention to what men say.  I just watch what they do." - Andrew Carnegie

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2007, 09:02:36 PM »

Twolane,

Thanks for the reply, but I was not really asking for help on the choice as much as I was asking where I can find a dealer that will sell one AT MSRP!! [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]  My guys are out for the year on the Ultras.

I know this group has some great experiences from dealers that will not try to rip you off and pay over MSRP for these bikes.  First I have to find someone that will sell one, then I have to make up my mind.  However, I do appreciate the opinions all are providing.  It helps me.

There's a B/O Jester at NYCHD with V&H TD's and V&H FuelPak. I mentioned this bike last night. It was pre-owned with virtually no miles on it. The owner couldn't take the heat and didn't want a modified bike. He gave it back and they sold him something else. Since it's not a new title, I imagine it's a good deal. ;) Hoist! 8-)

SilverDawg

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2007, 09:03:00 PM »

;)Now back to the thread topic....

Any dealers at MSRP for the Ultra [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2007, 09:04:42 PM »

Twolane,

Cobaltman

Call 704-847-HOGS   4647
Harley Davidson of Charlotte
Ask for Cindy
Tell her Chip said to call and that you wanted a SEUC for MSRP (or less).
Her boss told me the other day that they would sell them all day for that.
Good luck!

[smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

CBM

Went back to the beginning and looked.
You wanted to know which one to buy, the R/K or the SEUC.

And as far as drop shipped to a dealer, I'm betting that won't happen.
But you could come here and get it.
Or pay for it and I will pick it up and  and break it in then deliver it when time permits.
Wake up Chip, Wake up!
You fell off that turnip truck again!

[smiley=oops.gif]
Sorry guys!

;D
« Last Edit: January 20, 2007, 09:11:20 PM by Silver-Black »

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2007, 09:08:01 PM »

Cobaltman, give Brian Snow at Collier H-D in Roanoke Rapids, NC, a call.  Got mine for msrp + frieght.  They charged $500 set-up and then gave me $500 worth of moco p&a or motorclothes and you know I didn't have any problem spending that.  

FYI, you cannot buy out of area and get them to ship (this goes for any Harley dealer).  Must physically be there to take possession and then when it is yours, of course, you can arrange to ship it wherever you like.  Moco prohibits dealers from drop shipping bikes out of area.  They can lose their dealership license for doing so.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2007, 09:08:47 PM by ultrafxr »

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2007, 09:16:39 PM »

Twolane,

Sorry CBM, certainly misread the original question then.  Can only offer help in the negative on the acquisition question. I know that as of yesterday the local dealership didn't have one on the floor.

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2007, 09:51:18 PM »

You may try the dealer at this link http://www.hdofdanbury.com/default.asp  I bought my 06 ultra in june from them the bike was built in april so if you are interested Call and talk with George and see if he can get you what  you want at MSRP (tel'em Wayne from VA Sent you) Not that it will do anything for you just so he knows you won't be a stranger.

Good luck

napalm

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2007, 11:02:10 PM »

[smiley=worthless.gif]  What's this mature chit about owning a SEUC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My vote, if you can find one is a SEUC, the ultimate HD Machine.......

I have a Road King, but I always take the SEUC out of the garage for a ride!!!!!

napalm
napalm

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2007, 11:08:29 PM »

Cobatman,
It's going to be tough this late in the model year to get an SEUC, but there may be one to be had out there.  It took a lot of calling around for me to get one from a dealer that their allotment wasn't all spoken for.  I would probably try some Northern dealerships, i.e., Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, etc...where they aren't selling much of anything right now, they may have some available.  I know when I was up in Minnesota in November, every dealership, with the exception of one, that I went to, had an SUEC in stock.  I think you might have better luck getting one out of those states.  JMHO.

Cheers, and good luck,  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
Red

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Ghost Rider

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM # WHORE

« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2007, 11:12:15 PM »

Silver-Back,
Yeah, I've played that card a few too many times in almost 35 years of marriage.  [highlight]Everytime I start thinking about sneaking a second ride into the garage, I get that "John Bobbit" feeling in my nether region[/highlight] :-/....
TC

LMAO  [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] ;D [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] ;D [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] ;D [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] ;D [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] ;D [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] ;D [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]

twincam

« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2007, 11:41:58 PM »

Cobalt, try Durango, HD in Col. I bought my 06 SEUC from them did most of the deal on the net and on the phone, got the bike for msrp , good people. gave me a good trade in value on my 05 ultra. I did go and look at the 06 and test drove it. they put mods on it then delivered it to my door 10 hour away!! [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

twincam

« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2007, 11:43:35 PM »

can hook you up with sale manger if you like. send me a pm

SilverDawg

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2007, 11:50:37 PM »

Thanks for all of the responses so far.  I will follow up on them when the stores open back up on Monday.  

In the meantime, I sent separate, very professionally worded emails to about 10 HD stores in Texas.  Each one was personalized as much as possible, inquiring as to the status of the 07 SE Ultra at MSRP.  It will be interesting to see who responds and when.  I already had two stores emails bounce back due to their inbox being full (some do not have specific email addresses for sales inquiries...Unbelievable!)

I am still debating the pros and cons of the Ultra vs. RK and will continue to investigate the possibilities of changing my mind ;D

I'll keep you posted.  More to follow.

Signed,

"Undecided" in Texas [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]

SilverDawg

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2007, 11:55:04 PM »

Cobaltman, give Brian Snow at Collier H-D in Roanoke Rapids, NC, a call.  Got mine for msrp + frieght.  They charged $500 set-up and then gave me $500 worth of moco p&a or motorclothes and you know I didn't have any problem spending that.  

FYI, you cannot buy out of area and get them to ship (this goes for any Harley dealer).  Must physically be there to take possession and then when it is yours, of course, you can arrange to ship it wherever you like.  Moco prohibits dealers from drop shipping bikes out of area.  They can lose their dealership license for doing so.

Thanks for the info. I did not know they had that restriction.  Appreciate the thorough response.

skippy

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2007, 12:37:19 AM »

Damm Silver Black I must be going through a middle age crisis traded a Street Glide for a CVO springer ,you think I need help???

altugo

• 1K CVO Member
  • Screw it let's ride!

• CVO1: FLSTFSE2 nebula yellow/ cobalt blue
    • CVO2: FLTRSE3 yellow pearl / charcoal slate
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2007, 02:28:38 AM »

I LIKE THE BLACK ROADKING AND THATS IT PLS CLOSE THE SUBJECT !!!!

LOL just joking but was serious about the roadking.Never ridden the ultras long enough tough. [smiley=drink.gif]
Ridin Legend

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2007, 03:24:04 AM »

When my husband was looking to buy a SEEG in 03, he just kept calling HD stores starting closest to home and spread out, till he found one that would sell him one for MSRP.  If you can't find the one you want - hang on a tiny bit more, and find out what is going to be offered for 08.  The experience with late release bikes the past few years is that a flood of them get delivered right at the end of the year, so I would not loose hope at finding an UC, if indeed this is the decision you have made. Follow you own heart and you will always be right.   ;)

KentuckyHarleyDude

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2007, 09:40:00 AM »

:-/

Man oh man, I am now thinking I may want the Ultra vs. the Road King.  I keep going back and looking at both and for a few grand more, I could get the ultimate touring bike.  I called my dealer (great guy) and he said that they will probably not be getting anymore SE Ultras this year  (or maybe very late in the MY) even though they are getting ready to move in to a new store in March.  I refuse to pay over MSRP.  I still have my SERK on order, but now feel I must at least explore the possibilities of getting an Ultra.

If I do decide to change my mind (too much time from the time I sent in my deposit until receipt ;D) can any of you recommend a GREAT dealer that I could get one from?  I would want the Black or the Red, and not the blue. It would probably have to be a phone transaction if it is too far away.  Is it possible to buy one and have it drop shipped to my local dealer for the mods?    It would have to be a dealer that one of you would really trust to do the right thing.

[smiley=nixweiss.gif]HELP

'
If you want a convertable on two wheels go with the Ultra .... if you want a motorcycle then go with the SERK ...JMHO

Bama
« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 09:42:27 AM by BamaHarleyDude »
" Why Johnny Ringo ...you look like somone just ..walked across your grave"

displacing air

• Elite CVO Member
  • I am glad God answers no sometimes!
« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2007, 09:48:10 AM »

I will put my vote in for Ultra Classic...not that means a RK is the wrong choice...I just went to a bagger a few years ago and would never go back...I even was looking a SE Springer the other day and was told by a Sale Person that would be a great around the town bike...that got me thinking...conclusion is...I love my bike around town too. I just couldnt see going back.

The other thing to consider is passenger comfort for long trips...my wife wouldnt ride on my last bike and now rides with me some and my kids line up to go on rides with me. Took my daughter to MV last year...best week of our life. If I didnt have the ultra...this would have never happened. Just some other things to consider.

What ever choice you make it will be the right one!!!  Good luck on your quest.

Barry
2006 SEUC ...Watermelon Flavor!

displacing air

• Elite CVO Member
  • I am glad God answers no sometimes!
« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2007, 09:57:19 AM »

Oh yeah...

My dealer might have a Ultra coming in this spring...that isnt spoken for...
PM if you want their number? Its about 10 hours from here to Dallas...perfect for the break in ride?

Barry
2006 SEUC ...Watermelon Flavor!

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2007, 10:07:26 AM »

This is going to be a biased opinion but I think you would be much happier w/the Ultra. Seems the majority that has ridden bikes w/fairings and all the other amenities offered w/the full fairing bikes have seemed to stick with them. My SEEG was the first bike I ever rode that had all of these and I purposely kept it that way because I knew once I rode a bike w/all these creature comforts nothing else would/could compare. I do like the ability of the different looks I can have w/my bike... No tourpak, chopped tourpak, king tourpak, no backrest, backrest. I think all these different looks make it seem like I have several bikes. The fact that you are second guessing yourself now tells me you may want to go with the Ultra. Good luck on your decision.

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2007, 10:19:21 AM »

'
If you want a convertable on two wheels go with the Ultra .... if you want a motorcycle then go with the SERK ...JMHO

Bama

I guess there are others that feel the same way as me! John, you buy what's gonna make you happy. Nothing else really matters! ;) Hoist! 8-)

GC_Super

• Elite CVO Member
  • Great Ride!
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2007, 10:24:19 AM »

Cobalt, being a N. Tx resident myself, I feel your pain concerning the MSRP purchase.  In August of 05 when I was shopping for an 06 SEUC, I called all over the great state of TX.  The only two dealers I found that would commit to a MSRP deal was your current dealer, and the one in Big Spring. Both, by the way, are long time family owned. The only problem was they don't get many CVO bikes.  My final decision was to shop around out of state for the next best deal.  I had three legal pads full of phone #'s, prices, etc.  When all was said and done, it was cheaper to pay 1K over MSRP locally, than it was to buy at MSRP out of state, considering the travel time and shipping costs. Availablity was another huge factor. For obvious reasons, those with the best price, had the longest waiting lists. Sure enough, after I had purchased mine, people here would post that a Black SEUC was available somewhere at MSRP cause the depositor had backed out for some reason.
  I would also vote for the Ultra Classic.  So much more comfort, and most likely, won't be available next year, so the values should hold up fairly well.
 BTW, where do you go boating?  We have a Ski Centurian and spend time on the Brazos River at Whitney.  Later and good luck. Whatever you decide, we will have to get together and ride sometime.

Later, Robert
2006 SEUltra ordered, born on Feb 10, recieved Feb, 28, 2006

cigarmike

« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2007, 10:33:10 AM »

When I got my '06 SEEG, I had a custom road king and said Id never get rid of it, and that I would use it for the local bar trip etc..........negative. It sat, and is now long gone.

flyingwillie

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 05 Cherry SEEG__Sold
    • CVO2: 06 Autumn Haze SEUC__Sold
    • CVO3: 09 Silver/Blue SEUC 4
« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2007, 10:45:10 AM »

Hey Bama,
don't you have an SEUC coming in that is not taken or did you sell it?
 [smiley=cherry.gif]

UltraPolecat

• Elite CVO Member
  • Good Bye Milk Dud! Hello Black Beauty!

• CVO1: 06 SEUC Black Candy Crimson
« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2007, 10:54:04 AM »

Can always wait for the '08 SERG!!  Bet its going to be top dawg!   [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]

Bagger

« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2007, 10:55:46 AM »

CBM, I'm going to have to add my "me too" and parrot what most others are saying.  You cannot go wrong with an Ultra.  You get a machine on which you can travel from coast to coast with the capability to take transport everything you need..........to include your better half..........in all day long comfort and style, AND at the same time, you can tailor the machine to be a great "putt around town" scooter.

SilverDawg

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2007, 11:02:24 AM »

Cobalt, being a N. Tx resident myself, I feel your pain concerning the MSRP purchase.  In August of 05 when I was shopping for an 06 SEUC, I called all over the great state of TX.  The only two dealers I found that would commit to a MSRP deal was your current dealer, and the one in Big Spring. Both, by the way, are long time family owned. The only problem was they don't get many CVO bikes.  My final decision was to shop around out of state for the next best deal.  I had three legal pads full of phone #'s, prices, etc.  When all was said and done, it was cheaper to pay 1K over MSRP locally, than it was to buy at MSRP out of state, considering the travel time and shipping costs. Availablity was another huge factor. For obvious reasons, those with the best price, had the longest waiting lists. Sure enough, after I had purchased mine, people here would post that a Black SEUC was available somewhere at MSRP cause the depositor had backed out for some reason.
  I would also vote for the Ultra Classic.  So much more comfort, and most likely, won't be available next year, so the values should hold up fairly well.
 BTW, where do you go boating?  We have a Ski Centurian and spend time on the Brazos River at Whitney.  Later and good luck. Whatever you decide, we will have to get together and ride sometime.

Later, Robert

Robert,

Thanks for the info.  I know what you mean about adding the additional expense to the  MSRP, but I just cannot bring myself to pay over MSRP. I have some great leads thanks to the fine folks on this site. I'll keep y'all up to speed on how we are doing.

As for boating, you are probably aware that most of the lakes here are pretty low.  I keep my boat on Lake Grapevine at one of the local marinas. It usually stays on a lift in a slip, but I took it out in late October to get some work done on her and have not put her back on due to the crappy conditions of the ramps.  I have her tucked away in a great indoor storeage facililty in Lake Dallas until the water levels come back to useable.  If they don't, then I may sell her in the Spring. :'(  Hate to do it, but we just do not use it enough!!

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2007, 11:32:42 AM »

Damm Silver Black I must be going through a middle age crisis traded a Street Glide for a CVO springer ,you think I need help???

No Skippy

I KNOW you need help!

[smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2007, 12:12:17 PM »

Robert,

Thanks for the info.  I know what you mean about adding the additional expense to the  MSRP, but I just cannot bring myself to pay over MSRP. I have some great leads thanks to the fine folks on this site. I'll keep y'all up to speed on how we are doing.

As for boating, you are probably aware that most of the lakes here are pretty low.  I keep my boat on Lake Grapevine at one of the local marinas. It usually stays on a lift in a slip, but I took it out in late October to get some work done on her and have not put her back on due to the crappy conditions of the ramps.  I have her tucked away in a great indoor storeage facililty in Lake Dallas until the water levels come back to useable.  If they don't, then I may sell her in the Spring. :'(  Hate to do it, but we just do not use it enough!!
Cobaltman,
No flame intended towards you here, but my wife would say your sticking to MSRP regardless of what extra costs you might have to incur to get MSRP, is like me driving 30 miles out of my way to save $.03 a gallon on fuel.  I spend more money to "save" some just to satisfy my reasoning that I got the cheapest gas in the area.  I guess if you pay MSRP for a bike you can stand by the principal that you never pay more than MSRP for anything, but if you paid two thousand dollars more for shipping, fuel costs for driving to that remote dealership, possibly higher taxes if you go out of state, is it worth sticking to I will only pay MSRP?  I felt the same way, but I wanted an 07 CVO Ultra, and if the MoCo follows it's it's previous pattern, this is the second year of the CVO Ultra and we won't see one offered again for about 4 years, so I called around what I considered a resonalble distance for me to travel to get one...all the dealers, with the exception of the one I bought mine from, had their allocation spoken for.  The dealership I bought mine from charges $1K over MSRP for the CVOs.   Even though I paid 1K over, they gave me almost 1K more on trade-in for my '02 than I expected.   I did what I had to do to get my Ultra.  I could have went to Minnesota and gotten one at MSRP, but with the expense of flying up there, driving it back and the costs incurred with that, I would have spent that extra $1K easily, just so I could say I got it at MSRP?   To me weighing out the "incidental costs" of going to a distant dealership just for MSRP, just isn't worth the "bragging rights" to say you never pay more than MSRP for a Harley.  I'm not defending the dealerships that sell CVOs for over MSRP, but this is America, and if people are willing to pay it, they will charge it.  It may be the difference in you getting a machine or not....just some thoughts.  Good luck in whichever way you decide to go.

cheers [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif],
Red

2012 FLHXSE3

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2007, 12:52:05 PM »

The dealership I bought mine from charges $1K over MSRP for the CVOs.  

One other potential consideration is that, even though it should not be this way, some dealers handle you much better in the service department if you bought the bike from them.  Some seem to punish a bit later for not having purchased there to begin with.  

Agreed that just on general principles I would not pay very much over MSRP.  But if it was just a bit I'd be like Red and figure all the various costs of retrieval and time and other bennies the local purchasing dealer might be throwing in.  It's all part of the cost after all.  There is no sense, after all, in screwing yourself when the guy you're really upset with is the dealer for charging a bit more.

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2007, 01:39:20 PM »

Thanks for all of the responses so far.  I will follow up on them when the stores open back up on Monday.  

In the meantime, I sent separate, very professionally worded emails to about 10 HD stores in Texas.  Each one was personalized as much as possible, inquiring as to the status of the 07 SE Ultra at MSRP.  It will be interesting to see who responds and when.  I already had two stores emails bounce back due to their inbox being full (some do not have specific email addresses for sales inquiries...Unbelievable!)

I am still debating the pros and cons of the Ultra vs. RK and will continue to investigate the possibilities of changing my mind ;D

I'll keep you posted.  More to follow.

Signed,

"Undecided" in Texas [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]

If you are Asking only through email - I don't think you will find out much or get much if any response. They do not have a personal PC at there disposal and it is controled ny the admin of the dealer - Goes to default mail address and may or may not be looked at.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 01:39:58 PM by VAZHOG »

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #62 on: January 21, 2007, 03:06:33 PM »

One other potential consideration is that, even though it should not be this way, [highlight]some dealers handle you much better in the service department if you bought the bike from them.[/highlight]  Some seem to punish a bit later for not having purchased there to begin with.  

Agreed that just on general principles I would not pay very much over MSRP.  But if it was just a bit I'd be like Red and figure all the various costs of retrieval and time and other bennies the local purchasing dealer might be throwing in.  It's all part of the cost after all.  There is no sense, after all, in screwing yourself when the guy you're really upset with is the dealer for charging a bit more.
Twolanerider,
You've brought up a very valid point.  Although by law a dealership can't not honor warranty repairs or whatever, there's nothing that says they have to work on your bike in a timely manner or treat you well about it.  Car dealers used to and some still are that way.  I guess they figure, you didn't buy the vehicle from us so why should we give you any preferential treatment...it's sad, but it happens all too often.
Red

2012 FLHXSE3

KentuckyHarleyDude

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #63 on: January 21, 2007, 03:53:09 PM »

Twolanerider,
You've brought up a very valid point.  Although by law a dealership can't not honor warranty repairs or whatever, there's nothing that says they have to work on your bike in a timely manner or treat you well about it.  Car dealers used to and some still are that way.  I guess they figure, you didn't buy the vehicle from us so why should we give you any preferential treatment...it's sad, but it happens all too often.
Red

The position we take at our store is that we will work on any Harley no matter were it purchased however the customers that patronize's our store will be the first one's served.

Dude

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #64 on: January 21, 2007, 04:03:30 PM »

The position we take at our store is that we will work on any Harley no matter were it purchased however the customers that patronize's our store will be the first one's served.

Dude

I know of (first hand) a few guys who have suffered through that kind of service when broken down on the road.  Personally I've been lucky though.  The few times I've ever needed service assistance while out on the road somewhere the shops have taken me in, looked things over, and did what they could to get me back on the road.  

Perhaps the treatment is different with a traveler than it is with a local who bought his bike elsewhere but has the misfortune of now needing service.  If you separate the travelers from the scenario it would seem the rest should just be first come and first served.  After all, Harley pays the warranty claims equally no matter where you bought the bike.  But it's not always that way or that fair.

KentuckyHarleyDude

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #65 on: January 21, 2007, 04:24:24 PM »

I know of (first hand) a few guys who have suffered through that kind of service when broken down on the road.  Personally I've been lucky though.  
Perhaps the treatment is different with a traveler than it is with a local who bought his bike elsewhere but has the misfortune of now needing service.  If you separate the travelers from the scenario it would seem the rest should just be first come and first served.  After all, Harley pays the warranty claims equally no matter where you bought the bike.  But it's not always that way or that fair.

TwoLander obviously if someone were broken down and from out of town that would be an exception we would always lend a helping hand to a visitor ....as for Harley paying the dealer for warranty work that is true however the customer who bought his bike from us not only got a great bike but he also got our great service ...after all out of ONLY 25 dealers in the entire country that won the Gold Bar and Shield we were one .... so our service is part of our bike sale and our customers always come first...we will do our best to take care of others but we are just as loyal to our cutomers as they are to us !

Dude
« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 04:25:36 PM by BamaHarleyDude »

TCinVA

• Elite CVO Member
  • FINALLY!

« Reply #66 on: January 21, 2007, 04:41:41 PM »

OK TC

[smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Silver-Black,
I've tried that direction as well.  She's got her license, but where we live (just out side of Wash.,DC) she's not interested riding her own bike with all the idiots around here.  Can't say that I blame her.  But I do like your thinking  ;).
TC

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #67 on: January 21, 2007, 05:27:52 PM »

TwoLander obviously if someone were broken down and from out of town that would be an exception we would always lend a helping hand to a visitor ....as for Harley paying the dealer for warranty work that is true however the customer who bought his bike from us not only got a great bike but he also got our great service ...after all out of ONLY 25 dealers in the entire country that won the Gold Bar and Shield we were one .... so our service is part of our bike sale and our customers always come first...we will do our best to take care of others but we are just as loyal to our cutomers as they are to us !

Dude

Certainly understand the logic involved in doing that sort of economic triage.  And, to a certain extent, don't even disagree with it.  Depends on how egregious is the level of preference given.

Generally speaking the guy that calls for service on Tuesday should get on the schedule on stay on the schedule before the guy that calls in on Wednesday; even if the guy that calls on Wednesday bought the bike there.  Anything else just smacks of privilege; and that's not really what this whole gig is supposed to be about.  It also seems potentially a somewhat petty type of retaliation against the guy who maybe just got a better deal elsewhere or just happened to walk in to a dealership somewhere and see a bike he happened to fall in love with.  

To consider the full scenario does your sales department discourage non-locals from buying bikes at your dealership because that buyer's home shop might not treat them as preferentially as if they had bought at home?  If not then the service prefernce practice is at least a bit hypocritical.  

Understand KYdude, I'm not saying it's a great evil; it's not even beyond the logic of the marketplace.  It is just one of those things that is a little worrisome to me as part of the buying public.  Whether others would find it worrisome to any particular degree would depend on whether their goal is preference and privilege for one or simply a fair and good job for them and the rest of their riding brethren.  Different buyers could quite understandably come down on either side of this question.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #68 on: January 21, 2007, 05:30:50 PM »

OK, let me rephrase my previous comments. You're out of your mind if you buy anything but the SERK! THIS BIKE IS AWESOME!!!!! My new opinion. I'll give my first impressions and more pics in the pics section. Later! ;) Hoist! 8-)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #69 on: January 21, 2007, 05:34:11 PM »

OK, let me rephrase my previous comments. You're out of your mind if you buy anything but the SERK! THIS BIKE IS AWESOME!!!!! My new opinion. I'll give my first impressions and more pics in the pics section. Later! ;) Hoist! 8-)

oooooooooh, Howie has been out on the black bike.  Howie likes it  [smiley=drink.gif] [smiley=banana.gif] [smiley=jalapeno.gif] [smiley=drink.gif]  !!

Ok, quit holding it back a little.  TELL US WHAT YOU REALLY THINK!!

Bagger

« Reply #70 on: January 21, 2007, 05:42:23 PM »

That's great, Howie!  Glad you like the SERK.  It is an awesome machine, just like you stated........and that works for you. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #71 on: January 21, 2007, 06:16:00 PM »

Silver-Back,
I'm with ya'.  I've been told by a couple of dealers that over just the last five years, the shift from Softails to touring bikes have been staggering.  Better than 50% of the Big Twin market is now riding touring bikes (of course that includes RKs), but the Road Glides and EGs are the best sellers.  It appears that us Baby Boomers are looking for wider seats  ;).  Most of the metric guys are building bikes that closely resembles the Softails and RKs, but there's no mistaking that batwing fairing for any other cycle.
TC

This site right here is a good example of that.  Many more guys and gals riding the three models of baggers here than all the others put together.  Now I'm from the ol' school.....if it doesn't have a fairing and a stereo........it's not really a bagger.  So......in short......more people here riding with a fairing than without.

Fairing provides much comfort, stereo, cruise control, etc. and it actually makes it where you can talk to your passenger instead of yelling at her.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #72 on: January 21, 2007, 06:20:28 PM »

For my SERK review and pics, go to the Pictures Section. Later ;) Hoist! 8-)

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #73 on: January 21, 2007, 06:34:42 PM »

For my SERK review and pics, go to the Pictures Section. Later ;) Hoist! 8-)
Howie,
If you picked up your bike today, what the heck are you doing sitting here and posting????? :o
Cheers [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
Red

2012 FLHXSE3

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #74 on: January 21, 2007, 06:38:33 PM »

Howie,
If you picked up your bike today, what the heck are you doing sitting here and posting????? :o
Cheers [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
Red

Thawing out!!! ;D Hoist! 8-)

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #75 on: January 21, 2007, 06:54:25 PM »

Thawing out!!! ;D Hoist! 8-)
I can understand that...glad to see you got your new ride today.  I know you've been waiting long and hard for it. ;)
Red

2012 FLHXSE3

KentuckyHarleyDude

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #76 on: January 21, 2007, 07:02:55 PM »

To consider the full scenario does your sales department discourage non-locals from buying bikes at your dealership because that buyer's home shop might not treat them as preferentially as if they had bought at home?  If not then the service prefernce practice is at least a bit hypocritical.  

Twolander you see here again we look at it from two different views ..you the buyer and me the seller ...hypocritical to me would be the guy who drives 100 miles to save $2 or 300 dollars then wants to come to us to use our service department, and we have to listen to his complaints over a warranty or service issues ...not that he does not have the right to complain but it sure makes the medicine go down easier on our end when he is one of our customers...as I said earlier we will gladly service or do warranty on anyones Harley ...its just that we feel we owe it to OUR cutomers to always take care of their needs first ...they help keep our store open, helps us be a profitable business ... I suppose its called loyalty .....also when he brings his new bike in he bought at "Down the Road Harley" and wants a discount on parts and labor at our store ...it just seems to me loyalty should go both ways .... you want that from the Dealer then you should return it with in reason ....this is JMHO ....how I as an indovidual see it

Dude
« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 07:15:42 PM by BamaHarleyDude »

PHAZE

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: '05 SEEG/'06 CUSE/'07 SERK/'09 SERG (ALL SOLD)
    • CVO2: '09 CVO Fat Bob Black Diamond/Fire Quartz (SOLD)
    • CVO3: '11.5 CVO Ultra Classic Twilight Blue/Candy Cobalt
« Reply #77 on: January 21, 2007, 07:45:47 PM »

I'll throw in an opinion on Ultra Classic -vs- Road King.  I've had both and if I could only have one, it would be the Ultra and I'd make the tour pack detachable.  You can't beat the Ultra for the long haul and passenger comfort, but it can get you where you want to go locally too.  If I could only have one, it's the Ultra (but, two is better).

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #78 on: January 21, 2007, 07:57:46 PM »

I think many here have voiced that age is a partial factor here but with few excceptions on this list I went 76 FLH, Lowrider, FXRSSP, Springer, DWG, Springer, DWG, DWG2, RK, RK, FLHUC, DWG3, SEUC.

I had the DWG2 and the RK, wife got on the RK and that was that, she wasn't getting back on the DWG.  So then one day I walked into the HD shop and they had a Black UC with chrome front forks and lace wheels (it had me at hello), I figured if it was her bike I may as well have all the chit to go along with the baloon tires and cruiser mentallity.  

I ended up with the SEUC really from saying if they ever make a SE Ultra Classic I'm a deal since she didn't wish to give up the intercom and I knew better than to mess with her bike.  She only back seats but it gets me two bikes if she has one.  

So mostly the DWG3 sits.  I think I'll spring for a SERK this summer replacing the DWG3, only time will tell.  I'll try to wait until we know what 2008 holds in the August time frame.  

Now I'd never be without an Ultra though.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #79 on: January 21, 2007, 08:06:05 PM »

Twolander you see here again we look at it from two different views ..you the buyer and me the seller ...hypocritical to me would be the guy who drives 100 miles to save $2 or 300 dollars then wants to come to us to use our service department, and we have to listen to his complaints over a warranty or service issues ...not that he does not have the right to complain but it sure makes the medicine go down easier on our end when he is one of our customers...as I said earlier we will gladly service or do warranty on anyones Harley ...its just that we feel we owe it to OUR cutomers to always take care of their needs first ...they help keep our store open, helps us be a profitable business ... I suppose its called loyalty .....also when he brings his new bike in he bought at "Down the Road Harley" and wants a discount on parts and labor at our store ...it just seems to me loyalty should go both ways .... you want that from the Dealer then you should return it with in reason ....this is JMHO ....how I as an indovidual see it

Dude
What do you do for the guy that has been a loyal customer at your dealership, but cannot get the bike he wants at your dealership, say a CVO Ultra, and he goes elsewhere?  Do you still treat him as a loyal customer or is he now a "Dealer X" buyer and shouldn't be given that customer treatment anymore?  It's not the buyer's fault that he couldn't get the bike at your dealership.  That's a point in case with me, I couldn't get, even though I tried on numerous occasions, my SEUC from the dealership that I have always bought from and been a loyal customer.  I don't think I'll be treated differently, at least by the owner, because he understood that with a CVO, you got to buy them where you can get them, but that may not hold true with the service department, even though they have a good bunch of people there.

Cheers [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif],
Red

2012 FLHXSE3

KentuckyHarleyDude

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #80 on: January 21, 2007, 08:12:00 PM »

What do you do for the guy that has been a loyal customer at your dealership, but cannot get the bike he wants at your dealership, say a CVO Ultra, and he goes elsewhere?  Do you still treat him as a loyal customer or is he now a "Dealer X" buyer and shouldn't be given that customer treatment anymore?  It's not the buyer's fault that he couldn't get the bike at your dealership.  That's a point in case with me, I couldn't get, even though I tried on numerous occasions, my SEUC from the dealership that I have always bought from and been a loyal customer.  I don't think I'll be treated differently, at least by the owner, because he understood that with a CVO, you got to buy them where you can get them, but that may not hold true with the service department, even though they have a good bunch of people there.

Red

Red thats a great point and there are always exceptions to the case.

Dude

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #81 on: January 21, 2007, 08:17:21 PM »

Red
Red,
Had similar situation when I purchased my CVO. I went to dealer I had purchased bike from before, but they could only put me on the list, and couldn't guarantee me a bike. I spoke w/the owner of local dealership and asked him would there be any hard feelings and he promised me there wouldn't and understood me getting a bike where I could. They have treated me the same up to this day. I make all my appointments in advance and show up when scheduled. This particular dealership does have the policy to fix traveling bikers first if they show up w/a breakdown and I understand and appreciate that. I could be stranded on the road one day and would appreciate that treatment from a dealer on the road.

I guess I'm just lucky to be blessed to have an understanding local dealer that sells bikes at MSRP, understands when you can't get a CVO from them, and doesn't let that effect the relationship.

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

TCinVA

• Elite CVO Member
  • FINALLY!

« Reply #82 on: January 21, 2007, 08:30:33 PM »

Red,
Had similar situation when I purchased my CVO. I went to dealer I had purchased bike from before, but they could only put me on the list, and couldn't guarantee me a bike. I spoke w/the owner of local dealership and asked him would there be any hard feelings and he promised me there wouldn't and understood me getting a bike where I could. They have treated me the same up to this day. I make all my appointments in advance and show up when scheduled. This particular dealership does have the policy to fix traveling bikers first if they show up w/a breakdown and I understand and appreciate that. I could be stranded on the road one day and would appreciate that treatment from a dealer on the road.

I guess I'm just lucky to be blessed to have an understanding local dealer that sells bikes at MSRP, understands when you can't get a CVO from them, and doesn't let that effect the relationship.

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]

Red and Gary,
I'm pretty sure I know who you guys are talking about, but won't mention any names here.  I've had the same experience with "the" dealer, but some of my friends have not been as fortunate and have taken their business elsewhere.  I'm a firm believer in loyalty - both ways, but agree with Red - sometimes, especially with CVO's you just can't get what you want from "your" dealer.  We're fortunate!
Tony

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #83 on: January 21, 2007, 09:32:18 PM »

Like Red and Fired00d I have had occasion to buy at a dealer outside of town when a cike was not available.  

Actually I have bought about every other bike out of town.  They still treat me great in town and I get really good sdervice no matter where my bike came from.  They have had some turnover and in another post I was disenchanted with them, but I have stayed loyal and it paid off with my SEUC paint issues which they have worked hard to resolve.

In my business if I can't supply a product I have no issue with a customer going elsewhere to get what they want, I may even direct them to a dealer that has it.  It hurts though, when they go elsewhere and I have the product, but I figure we screwed up and work just as hard to please them and hope on getting the next sale when it comes.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #84 on: January 21, 2007, 09:50:03 PM »

also when he brings his new bike in he bought at "Down the Road Harley" and wants a discount on parts and labor at our store

Dude

There I completely agree with you.  Those are benefits above and beyond the baseline.  It would be the height of hubis to walk in and say "I've got a new bike, I didn't buy it from you, give me something extra."  Whatever that "extra" might be it should come from the selling dealer (if it's even coming from anyone).  The difference seems to be whether or not ordered and orderly service is perceived as part of the baseline.

You're right in that it is a loyalty thing.  And I do look at it from a businessman's perspective.  I'm just taking a longer view.  From a businessowner's perspective the goal is to attract ("earn" would be the better word) as much loyalty as you can.  A man who bought his bike elsewhere but is giving you perhaps the only opportunity you'll get to impress him and earn his future loyalty (and purchases) is going to be neither impressed nor loyal when he learns that someone who presented after him got to go first.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 09:52:21 PM by twolanerider »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #85 on: January 21, 2007, 09:54:51 PM »

In my business if I can't supply a product I have no issue with a customer going elsewhere to get what they want, I may even direct them to a dealer that has it.  It hurts though, when they go elsewhere and I have the product, but I figure we screwed up and work just as hard to please them and hope on getting the next sale when it comes.

And there, my friends, is the ideal example.

KentuckyHarleyDude

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #86 on: January 21, 2007, 10:32:20 PM »

There I completely agree with you.  
You're right in that it is a loyalty thing.   From a businessowner's perspective the goal is to attract ("earn" would be the better word) as much loyalty as you can.  

Does "attract or earn" loyalty mean buying someones business by selling a bike, parts or service for less then what they are worth? I would think that would be a poor business plan but then thats JMHO ..but lets not beat a dead horse ...I know I stand alone for the most part on my views on this forum ...and I suppose I should learn just to keep my mouth shut.

Dude

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #87 on: January 21, 2007, 11:21:43 PM »

Wow has this thread been jacked,retaken and jacked again.  [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]

As far as dealers and service is concerned I can see both side of the issue. NO business can stay in business for long if they are moving product or providing a service below costs.
As in buying a car ,I do my research and make a decision on what is a fair price to pay for a product and will try to get it for that price. I don't mind a salesman making a fair profit and providing for his family I just don't want to send his kids through 4 years of college based on my sale alone. If I am treated in an inteligent and mature manner I will return to buy again and I will provide good P.R. to that dealer by word of mouth,internet etc.

As for a service department I can understand having to triage bikes that come in for work if there is more work than a department can handle. I agree with what has been said about helping stranded bikers on the road and other emergency type situations.
I can see situations where a service department can cost a dealership in ruined reputation and future sales if a customer comes in and feels like he is a second or third class citizen.
If a service department chooses to prioritize by letting bikes sold at their dealership get serviced first is it a clearly stated policy? In my area there is a very large military presence and there are many riders who got their bikes in other parts of the country and got transfered, should they be treated differently? How about us CVO folks should we have a gold card (Or maybe chrome) ;D that gets us to the head of the line for service,maybe a loaner bike or a courtesy ride home etc.?
I would think one way to help build a business would be for the service department to treat every person as if they were important reguardless of where the bike was purchased and win the customer over with kindness if the dealership is treated with understanding and respect as well. At times I have seen the servce department at a bike or car dealership make or break a reputation. Since many people may only deal with the salesman every couple of years or so but they will see a service department many times a year.

Meanwhile back to the original posting. ;D

I love my SEUC and If I could only have one bike this would be it. It is NOT that much different than a softail in town to ride yet on a long ride or on the highway it is nice to have the storage space and extra stuff. The video tape "Ride like a Pro" has great tips for low speed handling. The steering may seen a little heavy for some but that would be one reason for the Roadglide. You still have all the luxury but with the frame mounted fairing the steering is lighter and not as affected by wind. Maybe 2008 will bring a Screamin Eagle version back?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #88 on: January 22, 2007, 01:41:15 AM »

Does "attract or earn" loyalty mean buying someones business by selling a bike, parts or service for less then what they are worth? I would think that would be a poor business plan but then thats JMHO ..but lets not beat a dead horse ...I know I stand alone for the most part on my views on this forum ...and I suppose I should learn just to keep my mouth shut.

Dude

KY, now you're diverting from the question.  No one said a word about working below margin or what you might be expected to earn.  We're talking about how you treat clientele and potential clientele no matter where they come from.  It's unfortunate that their treatment is equated with a dead horse.

You spoke earlier of recognizing the business owner's perspective.  That likely is the issue.  It is common for a department foreman or manager to assume that is the perspective they've learned to take.  When in fact it's the nearer term and more isolated perspective of their department they grasp.  The person or board with responsibility and oversight for all of them are far more commonly the only members of an organization who effectively grasp the overall and the long term.  

That's ok.  You want your subordinate staff to be dedicated to their own missions.  That's also why there is oversight; or at least should be.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 01:43:13 AM by twolanerider »

Xmas camel

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #89 on: January 22, 2007, 04:37:05 AM »

I have found that here in CA dealers do not want to sell "out-of-county" because (they claim)  it will reduce their alotment for that kind of bike in the following year. That may be no big deal with sportsters, but for a CVO, I am sure it is a BIG DEAL, if true. As a result, it would be imposssible to get  CVO at MSRP here unless you went to a local dealer. If this is a HD Corp policy, then the same must apply everywhere else. Has anyone encountered this?

I have just recently switched my deposit from a SERK to a SEUC. My rational being that the RK is bike that does both cruising and touring OK, but neither really well. Since I have CVO dyna for cruising, I think the SEUC is the right second bike for me.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #90 on: January 22, 2007, 07:51:37 AM »

I have found that here in [highlight]CA dealers do not want to sell "out-of-county" because (they claim)  it will reduce their alotment for that kind of bike in the following year[/highlight]. That may be no big deal with sportsters, but for a CVO, I am sure it is a BIG DEAL, if true. As a result, it would be imposssible to get  CVO at MSRP here unless you went to a local dealer. If this is a HD Corp policy, then the same must apply everywhere else. Has anyone encountered this?

I have just recently switched my deposit from a SERK to a SEUC. My rational being that the RK is bike that does both cruising and touring OK, but neither really well. Since I have CVO dyna for cruising, I think the SEUC is the right second bike for me.
I'm not sure I see logic in the CA dealers statement and think that's their own policy.  To me that doesn't make sense.  Allotments from the MoCo are based on sales of motorcycles and the locations of the dealerships as to whether they are a Northern or Southern dealership.  Southern dealerships get more motorcycles in the winter months, makes sense, than Northern dealerships.  If you are a producer for the MoCo and sell a lot of motorcycles, they will keep your allotment at better level than the dealership that doesn't sell as much.  I don't really think the MoCo cares if the dealership sells out of county, or out of state, the dealerships are independently owned and can sell to whomeever they want to.  I'm not sure why this dealership would restrict his sales to just county people.  If that were the case here, some of our dealerships would go out of business for lack of sales.  The counties that they reside just aren't big enough to support them.  I haven't been to a single dealer here or (anywhere else in my travels) that have not been willing to sell me a motorcycle because I was out of their state, let alone out of their county.  That's a unique policy to that dealership and to me they are stifling their own sales.  JMHO.
Red
Back to the subject...Cobatman, my gut reaction, get your SEUC where ever you can get it, and if that means paying a little over MSRP, then so be it.  If you really want the bike, you have to be a little flexible.  Perhaps you can convince the dealership to give you some extra bennies free because of the higher sales price....just a thought

2012 FLHXSE3

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #91 on: January 22, 2007, 08:08:20 AM »

Does "attract or earn" loyalty mean buying someones business by selling a bike, parts or service for less then what they are worth? I would think that would be a poor business plan but then thats JMHO ..but lets not beat a dead horse ...I[highlight] know I stand alone for the most part on my views on this forum ...and I suppose I should learn just to keep my mouth shut.[/highlight]

Dude
KHD,
Your opinion is, like all others in this forum, is what makes this forum a great place to come to for information and insight.  The only bad or stupid opinion is the one that's not given.  You are looking at it from the dealership perspective and I can appreciate that.  I do respect a dealership that puts travelers high on their list for service.  I know if I was broken down in Bumf**k, East Overshoe, I'd sure be appreciative if the local dealership put me high up on their list for service so that I can get back on the road as quick as possible.   I totally understand loyalty, that's a good thing.  I guess there's just a fine line that we, the customers look for in how we're treated by a dealership.  If I get snubbed by a dealership that I've been loyal to because I bought a bike from another dealership after trying to get that bike from them, then I will no longer be a customer at that dealership.  I've been fortunate, I spoke directly with the owner of "my dealership" and he totally understood why I went elsewhere with the SEUC, he just couldn't get one for me.  Will I keep going back to that dealership in the future?  You bet I will.  Will I continue to go to the dealership that I bought the bike from?  Sure, they did me right and they stated (guaranteed) they will honor my warranty and extended warranty with the mods I've done, because they were done by them.  So, I'm in a win-win situation...those are the kind of dealerships I like and will continue to do business with.   On the flip side, we have a dealership North of me, and TC, you know to whom I'm referring to here, that has a "first come, first serve", service policy.  There are no appointments, regardless of whether you bought the bike from them or not.  That's equal treatment to all, however, I personally don't like that policy.  I still work and I can't drop my bike off on a Monday morning, hope I'm one of the first in line for service, so that it doesn't sit at the dealership all week, waiting to be worked on and if it does get done by Tuesday, I have to take more time off of work because if I don't pick it up within three days after completion of work, they start charging a storage fee.  I wouldn't buy from that dealership for those reasons.  

God, I hate it when I get on a rant....sheesh... :-[  You just keep on giving your opinion KHD ;)

Red

2012 FLHXSE3

GC_Super

• Elite CVO Member
  • Great Ride!
« Reply #92 on: January 22, 2007, 08:22:32 AM »

I've been in the Harley world since early 2003. In that span, the closest dealer has changed hands twice, inside people are different almost everytime you walk in. The other two local shops, while I don't frequent them that much, it seems like counter and service people change frequently. At the next town, where I bought my current bike, of the three sales people, two, including the guy I bought mine from, are gone.
 Also, since 02, I have bought four trucks from the same dealership (GM) from 4 different sales people. I would always ask for the same sales assoc, but they would be gone.  So I like loyalty, and would prefer to deal with the same, friendly, familiar faces, but it's just not possible in todays fast paced retail world. So I usually start at my favorite place to do business, but usually buy where the best deal on the particular vehicle I want is.  It's a little eaiser with vehicles as dealers will trade inventories, but the Harley dealers don't seem to want to do the same, at least not here.
2006 SEUltra ordered, born on Feb 10, recieved Feb, 28, 2006

KentuckyHarleyDude

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #93 on: January 22, 2007, 09:25:58 AM »

KHD,
Your opinion is, like all others in this forum, is what makes this forum a great place to come to for information and insight.  The only bad or stupid opinion is the one that's not given.  You are looking at it from the dealership perspective and I can appreciate that.  I do respect a dealership that puts travelers high on their list for service.  I know if I was broken down in Bumf**k, East Overshoe, I'd sure be appreciative if the local dealership put me high up on their list for service so that I can get back on the road as quick as possible.   I totally understand loyalty, that's a good thing.  I guess there's just a fine line that we, the customers look for in how we're treated by a dealership.  [highlight]If I get snubbed by a dealership that I've been loyal to because I bought a bike from another dealership after trying to get that bike from them, then I will no longer be a customer at that dealership[/highlight].  I've been fortunate, I spoke directly with the owner of "my dealership" and he totally understood why I went elsewhere with the SEUC, he just couldn't get one for me.  Will I keep going back to that dealership in the future?  You bet I will.  Will I continue to go to the dealership that I bought the bike from?  Sure, they did me right and they stated (guaranteed) they will honor my warranty and extended warranty with the mods I've done, because they were done by them.  So, I'm in a win-win situation...those are the kind of dealerships I like and will continue to do business with.   On the flip side, we have a dealership North of me, and TC, you know to whom I'm referring to here, that has a "first come, first serve", service policy.  There are no appointments, regardless of whether you bought the bike from them or not.  That's equal treatment to all, however, I personally don't like that policy.  I still work and I can't drop my bike off on a Monday morning, hope I'm one of the first in line for service, so that it doesn't sit at the dealership all week, waiting to be worked on and if it does get done by Tuesday, I have to take more time off of work because if I don't pick it up within three days after completion of work, they start charging a storage fee.  I wouldn't buy from that dealership for those reasons.  

God, I hate it when I get on a rant....sheesh... :-[  You just keep on giving your opinion KHD ;)

Red
[highlight][/highlight]

Red that is an excellent point and I understand fully ...I do not think a dealer can or should expect a local customer to pay him $500 or more for a comprable bike he has in stock when he could purchase that bike else where for $500.00 less .... but when the customer starts brow beating his local dealer over $200.00 or $300.00 then I feel the Dealer has to take a stand ...his service should be worth something to a local buyer and if its not then he (the dealer) needs to address his service department ...I teach my sales team to sell their product ..sell themselves ..sell the service department and finally sell the dealership ...it is ALL of value to the buyer or it should be.

As for dealership turnover I can understand the frustration ...emlpoyee retention is a very high priority at our store ...its like family ...

Dude

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #94 on: January 22, 2007, 09:30:11 AM »

Might as well sell the Dyna now.  I have had both and since I started sharing garage space with my Ultras the Dyna seldom leaves the barn.  I could have saved thousands if I would have figured this out a couple years ago.

Anyone interested in a black DWG3 with 800 miles [smiley=nixweiss.gif] ;D
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 09:32:36 AM by Rjob749 »

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #95 on: January 22, 2007, 09:54:59 AM »

[highlight]Might as well sell the Dyna now[/highlight].  I have had both and since I started sharing garage space with my Ultras the Dyna seldom leaves the barn.  I could have saved thousands if I would have figured this out a couple years ago.

Anyone interested in a black DWG3 with 800 miles [smiley=nixweiss.gif] ;D
I don't believe the "older you get the more you go towards a touring rig" thing.  I have been riding touring rigs since 1985, let's see that would have made me 31 then.  Everyone can call them "geezer-glides" or say you have to be old to buy a tourer, then I guess I've been "old" just about my entire motorcycling life.  I've ridden the cruisers, did the bug in the teeth thing for about 15 years and then got on a touring bike, and well, the rest is history.  I just like the feel of a touring bike...I like to get somewhere, anywhere, no matter how short or long the ride is, in comfort.  I like the fairing, the radio, the intercom, the cruise control, the lowers, the bags and tour pak, etc, etc,etc...when I'm in the mountains on the twisties, I don't care to see how fast I can take them, I'd rather enjoy the view.  If I wanted to take the twisties as fast as I could, I'd have bought a crotch-rocket.   I guess the whole Harley group is getting very old, as the touring rigs are their number one sellers now.  I was down at a dealership outside of Orlando last summer, and was talking to the sales manager.  He told me that he wished he could only get EG's, he can't keep them on the floor long enough to even show them.  The only EG he had on the floor was that Maryland State Police colored one (olive green and black  [smiley=puke.gif]).  He said nobody was interested in that one...wonder why.   Anyway, each to his own riding style and type of bike they desire...Cobalt, go with your heart and what you want...
cheers  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif],
Red

2012 FLHXSE3

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #96 on: January 22, 2007, 10:05:41 AM »

I don't believe the "older you get the more you go towards a touring rig" thing.  

I guess the whole Harley group is getting very old, as the touring rigs are their number one sellers now.  He told me that he wished he could only get EG's, he can't keep them on the floor long enough to even show them.  Red

Red, I don't think its the getting older that gets a guy onto a Glide, its getting smarter.  My first Harley was a brand new 76 FLH.  Although I ran a solo seat and no bags a lot.

When you are young you into appearance and the other bikes have a lot of emotional pull, but once you put your butt on a RK or Glide of some description there aren't many that would give one up.  And you know as far as the twisties etc. we always seem to pull in with (or ahead of) the guys on the boulevard bikes anyway [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 10:06:53 AM by Rjob749 »

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #97 on: January 22, 2007, 10:18:14 AM »

Red, I don't think its the getting older that gets a guy onto a Glide, its getting smarter.  My first Harley was a brand new 76 FLH.  Although I ran a solo seat and no bags a lot.

When you are young you into appearance and the other bikes have a lot of emotional pull, but once you put your butt on a RK or Glide of some description there aren't many that would give one up.  And you know as far as the twisties etc. we always seem to pull in with (or ahead of) the guys on the boulevard bikes anyway [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
Amen to everything you said Bro!!  If you're gonna ride, do it on a glide.  ;)
Red

2012 FLHXSE3

Xmas camel

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #98 on: January 22, 2007, 06:06:58 PM »

I hope I don't lose the urge to go out and hot-rod around town now and then. For that a 110 cu inch dyna that is 200 lbs lighter sounds perfect. We will see!

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #99 on: January 22, 2007, 06:59:41 PM »

I hope I don't lose the urge to go out and hot-rod around town now and then. For that a 110 cu inch dyna that is 200 lbs lighter sounds perfect. We will see!

You won't if you don't want to. You can hot-rod anything! The FLH/FLT platform is basicaly similar to the FXR design, but beefier. The FXR was the best, handling hot-rod bike HD ever made. The Touring line echos that. It all depends what you want out of your bike. The bike won't hold you back, It's all up to you! ;) Hoist! 8-)

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #100 on: January 22, 2007, 07:05:50 PM »

You won't loose the urge.  But when you have a radio and tunes and the wide open spaces you may find yourself not worrying about around town and going farther on a ride than you do now because of the comfort level which relaxes you more and relieves your thoughts of the day etc. etc.  Plus the back seat rider ratio improves when they are more comfortable and having a better time because of it.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 07:06:42 PM by Rjob749 »

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #101 on: January 22, 2007, 07:10:06 PM »

You won't loose the urge.  But when you have a radio and tunes and the wide open spaces you may find yourself not worrying about around town and going farther on a ride than you do now because of the comfort level which relaxes you more and relieves your thoughts of the day etc. etc.  [highlight]Plus the back seat rider ratio improves when they are more comfortable and having a better time because of it[/highlight].
Ain't that the truth....if mama's happy when she's riding, then I'm happy...nothin worse than a spouse that's not happy and sitting behind you.... :o
Red

2012 FLHXSE3

rbmntx

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #102 on: January 22, 2007, 10:31:25 PM »

Cobalt, I got in on this conversation late but you might try Route 66 H-D in Tulsa.  They are great people and that's where I got my SERK after the local dealers all wanted MSRP + $2K.  Route 66 sold me the SERK for a couple of hundred over MSRP and the experience was great.  If you call there, ask for Raymond Duran.  Raymond is the sales manager.  I don't know if they have any SEEC's or not but it's worth a call.
Have you ever ridden an UC?  If not, I suggest you test ride one.  More comfortable, yes but they are more top heavy.  I have a friend that moved from Road Kings to an UC.  He (and his wife) love the comfort but he says he cannot do things like turn around in the middle of the road without his wife getting off because it is just harder to handle at that slow pace.
That makes the difference even greater when compared to the 07 SERK because it has a lower center of gravity and handles better than any bike I've ever ridden (ask Hoist about that).
Anyway, just my $0.02.  Whichever you choose, I'm sure you will be happy.  Good luck
Bob
some days you gets da bear, other days da bear gets you...

SilverDawg

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #103 on: January 23, 2007, 12:54:25 AM »

RBMNTX,

Thanks for the info.  I have found some great leads from the folks on this board.  Didn't get much time to follow up today as all of my regional reps are in the office this week.

I appreciate the additional lead.  I will follow up.

As for the comment someone made earlier on just paying over MSRP vs. paying travel and/or shipping costs, I would rather pay a dealer that treats me fairly and does a great job in prepping the bike (and give him as much referral business as I can muster) vs. paying over MSRP.  I know this sounds illogical, but I 'll go through the extra steps to get one out of state or area vs. paying a dealer $2K over.  You just have to take a stand sometime.

Just for giggles, I asked one local dealer about an Ultra today.  He said $2K over and an extremely low ball offer on my trade. :-?  Wow, I just don't get it and I am in a similar business to what Harley dealers do (automotive).

Again, thanks for all of your help so far folks.  You guys are the best.

rbmntx

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #104 on: January 23, 2007, 09:10:54 AM »

Just a thought, but have you checked places like hdtrader.com?  That site has lots of dealer ads and may give you an idea quickly of who may have a SEUC.
some days you gets da bear, other days da bear gets you...

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #105 on: January 23, 2007, 01:45:52 PM »

RBMNTX,

Thanks for the info.  I have found some great leads from the folks on this board.  Didn't get much time to follow up today as all of my regional reps are in the office this week.

I appreciate the additional lead.  I will follow up.

As for the comment someone made earlier on just paying over MSRP vs. paying travel and/or shipping costs, I would rather pay a dealer that treats me fairly and does a great job in prepping the bike (and give him as much referral business as I can muster) vs. paying over MSRP.  I know this sounds illogical, but I 'll go through the extra steps to get one out of state or area vs. paying a dealer $2K over.  [highlight]You just have to take a stand sometime[/highlight].

Just for giggles, I asked one local dealer about an Ultra today.  He said $2K over and an extremely low ball offer on my trade. :-?  Wow, I just don't get it and I am in a similar business to what Harley dealers do (automotive).

Again, thanks for all of your help so far folks.  You guys are the best.
Cobaltman,
I commend you for standing on your principles.  :)  I hope you're able to locate your ride, there aren't going to be too many of them left before they stop manufacturing them for this model year and start re-tooling for '08's.  If they follow their two-year modus operendi, 07 is the last CVO Ultra year until it comes back around in the rotation (approx 4 years by my guessing), by then it could be a water-cooled 1800cc V-Rod Ultra Classic.  At least if you don't get a SERK this year, it should be back for it's second year in '08.   Good luck.
Cheer [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif],
Red

2012 FLHXSE3

ace4059

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #106 on: January 23, 2007, 02:12:32 PM »

I have a road king classic and an ultraSE. Rode the RK for 8 years. I thought the Ultra would be "big" and hard to handle. After riding the ultra for 5 months, I can truly say I can handle it just as well as the RK. Sure it weighs more, but IMO it handles just as well as the RK and it's a lot more comfortable on long rides. You can't go wrong either way, but I believe once you try the ultra, you won't go back!
There are no traffic jams along the extra mile.- Roger Staubach.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #107 on: January 23, 2007, 02:46:34 PM »

I have a road king classic and an ultraSE. Rode the RK for 8 years. I thought the Ultra would be "big" and hard to handle. After riding the ultra for 5 months, I can truly say I can handle it just as well as the RK. Sure it weighs more, but IMO it handles just as well as the RK and it's a lot more comfortable on long rides. You can't go wrong either way, [highlight]but I believe once you try the ultra, you won't go back[/highlight]!

The UC and EG ride the same. I did buy an EG in '98, and I did go back to the RK! No matter what anyone says, only Cobaltman will know which one he likes better. I swear by RK's and the '07 SERK is the Ultimate Road King!!! They nailed this bike, and can't see myself on any other Touring Bike. One guy said it here best and I agree. If you want a 2-wheeled convertible, buy a UC. If you want a touring motorcycle, buy a Road King! Nothing more I can say. it's a personal decision! ;) Hoist! 8-)

jfh

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #108 on: January 23, 2007, 04:33:58 PM »

There are only two categories of Harley riders; those that own a glide and those that don't own one... yet!
Hammer - CVO Member #641

2009 FLTRSE3: Axtell jugs, JE forged flat top pistons, S&S 585 cams, SE 58mm TB, Dewey's Pro-Street porting, SE cam plate, Zipper's tapered pushrods, Cat-less, 2" Fullsac, TTS, Twin Jagg oil coolers, AK-20, 13" Works Black Trackers w/ARS, Clearview, Hawg Wired, Yaffe Monkey Bars, Danny Gray Big Seat

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #109 on: January 23, 2007, 05:50:59 PM »

There are only two categories of Harley riders; those that own a glide and those that don't own one... yet!

YES, YES, YES, to what he said!

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

skippy

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #110 on: January 23, 2007, 06:45:04 PM »

Wait till 08 my money is on the MOTO will have a SEROADGLIDE what you think?????

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #111 on: January 23, 2007, 07:06:50 PM »

What is this? He who gets the last word in, wins. :o I don't get tired of posting, so... ::) There's only one King of the Road! That's why it's called a ROAD KING!!! ;) Hoist! 8-)

skyglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE (concord)
« Reply #112 on: January 23, 2007, 07:21:50 PM »

Great quote [smiley=coolblue.gif] UC all the way!

skyglide

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #113 on: January 23, 2007, 07:24:34 PM »

What is this? He who gets the last word in, wins. :o I don't get tired of posting, so... ::) There's only one King of the Road! That's why it's called a ROAD KING!!! ;) Hoist! 8-)
Hoist I think you are king of the road with that small luggage rack. I have a spare leather UC tour pack if you would like to be a bigger king? ;D

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #114 on: January 23, 2007, 07:32:20 PM »

Hoist I think you are king of the road with that small luggage rack. I have a spare leather UC tour pack if you would like to be a bigger king? ;D

Thanks SC, I put a KTP on my RK in '95. Before detachables. My large SAC sissy bar bag holds more than a KTP, so I put on a rack and started using the bag for trips. I'd take off the bag, and be left only with the rack. I've grown to love travelling this way. Now with these detachables, I can remove the rack too! So, I have no need for a TP on an RK. But thanks for the offer. And remember to put the top down when it's nice out! ;D ;D ;D Hoist! 8-)

Grover

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #115 on: January 23, 2007, 07:39:09 PM »

The UC and EG ride the same. I did buy an EG in '98, and I did go back to the RK! No matter what anyone says, only Cobaltman will know which one he likes better. I swear by RK's and the '07 SERK is the Ultimate Road King!!! They nailed this bike, and can't see myself on any other Touring Bike. [highlight]One guy said it here best and I agree[/highlight]. [highlight]If you want a 2-wheeled convertible, buy a UC. If you want a touring motorcycle, buy a Road King! Nothing more I can say. [/highlight]it's a personal decision! ;) Hoist! 8-)

[smiley=confused5.gif]With the exception of the Tour-Pak (bag) & batwing fairing, the bikes' are virtually the same...."Baggers".

Since when did the MoCo install a retractable vinyl top in the tour-pak [smiley=confused5.gif]

It's kind of funny seeing a bagger guy rip on another ''Bagger''.

I once had a real cool dude drive past me on a ''custom softail" and yelled out ''Hey Bagger Boy'' w/a sh!t eatin' grin as he revved up his cool drag pipes....At the next stop sign I asked him if he wanted to run the ''Bagger Boy''....he said sure if you want to try. Needless to say I absolutely smoked his ass! I don't think he'll ever look down on a bagger again.

So I hope everyone enjoys their rides, if it puts a smile on your face that's what it's all about.

Ride Hard or Hardly Ride [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Take care, :) ;)

Grover
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 07:42:39 PM by GROVER »

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #116 on: January 23, 2007, 07:45:44 PM »

[highlight]There are only two categories of Harley riders; those that own a glide and those that don't own one... yet! [/highlight]

Added: those that have had a Glide in one form or another, and went on to something else for their own reasons. [smiley=soapbox.gif] That's why there are so many choices.  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

skyglide

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #117 on: January 23, 2007, 07:50:22 PM »

Thanks SC, I put a KTP on my RK in '95. Before detachables. My large SAC sissy bar bag holds more than a KTP, so I put on a rack and started using the bag for trips. I'd take off the bag, and be left only with the rack. I've grown to love travelling this way. Now with these detachables, I can remove the rack too! So, I have no need for a TP on an RK. But thanks for the offer. And remember to put the top down when it's nice out! ;D ;D ;D Hoist! 8-)
What would we do without detachables? I am making mine detachable as well.As far as putting top down Mine don't work I guess[smiley=beatdeadhorse.gif] When it rains If I put my face up against 6" clearview bitch and drive with one eye and I just get a couple of sprinkles. Got love that batwing :oMy first thought when I seen that small rack of yours I could strap down a deer on that thing ;D

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #118 on: January 23, 2007, 08:03:29 PM »

What would we do without detachables? I am making mine detachable as well.As far as putting top down Mine don't work I guess[smiley=beatdeadhorse.gif] When it rains If I put my face up against 6" clearview bitch and drive with one eye and I just get a couple of sprinkles. Got love that batwing :oMy first thought when I seen that small rack of yours I could strap down a deer on that thing ;D

Or a dead horse! ::) Hoist! 8-)

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #119 on: January 23, 2007, 08:15:05 PM »

Cobaltman,
I commend you for standing on your principles.  :)  I hope you're able to locate your ride, there aren't going to be too many of them left [highlight]before they stop manufacturing them for this model year [/highlight]and start re-tooling for '08's.  If they follow their two-year modus operendi, 07 is the last CVO Ultra year until it comes back around in the rotation (approx 4 years by my guessing), by then it could be a water-cooled 1800cc V-Rod Ultra Classic.  At least if you don't get a SERK this year, it should be back for it's second year in '08.   Good luck.
Cheer [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif],
Red
Red, don't know exactly how the moco plans things but when I started looking to for a possible trade of my '06 cuse for an '07 several dealers told me that the moco pushed out quite a few '06 cuse's even after the '07s were introduced.  So they said they had unsold '06s and weren't interested in a trade.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Screamin_Beagle

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #120 on: January 23, 2007, 08:33:59 PM »

Silver-black,
   I still don't understand where your stage name comes from [smiley=nixweiss.gif] [smiley=nixweiss.gif].

Care to shed some light??????

I love that pile of scoot's.  You may be one of the twisteder members on this site..........keep up the good work.

_Beags
What ever it is that somebody did that you didn't want done.....................I either did it or had something to do with it!!!

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #121 on: January 23, 2007, 08:40:44 PM »

Wait till 08 my money is on the MOTO will have a SEROADGLIDE what you think?????

Skippy

That would look good in your stable.
You gotta be getting lonely not having that street glide!

I'm still looking for an 03 Classic for Nancy and if that don't happen we are hoping for a
08 S/E Street Glide for her. You know the drill,,, 131" motor with a small rear tire!
A woman can never have too much horsepower!

[smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #122 on: January 23, 2007, 08:44:40 PM »

Silver-black,
   I still don't understand where your stage name comes from [smiley=nixweiss.gif] [smiley=nixweiss.gif].

Care to shed some light??????

I love that pile of scoot's.  You may be one of the twisteder members on this site..........keep up the good work.

_Beags

All I know about you is what you post and what Brian has told me.
Really glad you didn't sell the bike and do enjoy your humor!

[smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 08:57:50 PM by Silver-Black »

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

RATKING

• Enjoy the Ride; Get Back Safe!
« Reply #123 on: January 23, 2007, 09:06:00 PM »

I agree with Hoist on this one.  My Harley lineage dates back to the old Pans and Shovels.  I still have a couple of these old guys.  Love 'em.  At that time, a fully dressed out FLH is equivalent to todays Road King.  The old FLH's were called the Kings of the Road.  It had the storage ability of sidebags and tour paks (if youwanted it), as well an easily removable fairing.  In the old days, even the Batwing fairing was easily removed, as simply as the Road King fairing of today.  To me, the beauty of a Harley is the engine, not only the way it looks, but the way it sounds.  The bikes were much simpler then.  I like a clean looking motorcyle (key is motor) with nice clean lines and lots of visible motor.  That is what makes a harley in my mind.  With the Road King, you can have that clean look.  If you want to add a shield for a trip, go ahead, slip it on, its detachable.  Personally I like the wind in my face and hair.  I want to enjoy the biking experience.  Sitting in a plastic cacoon doesn't do it for me.  I do not want to be hidden by a lot of peripheral BS'ng plastic.  The key is clean lines, emphasis on motor.  By the way, is there really anything on the radio that sounds better than a Harley anyway.  Listen to the motor, that is where it is at.  Attached is a picture of my 1981 Heritage.  I like the old chit, although I am enjoying my Screaming Eagles, 2003 SERK and 2005 SEFB.

ido911s

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #124 on: January 23, 2007, 09:25:32 PM »

Here's a topic with no real answer. Who is better Mantle or Mays?...Did I date myself with that one? They're both great of course. I personally could never go back to a bike without the Stereo and Nav, cell phone, heated seat, heated grips, XM radio...Yes, I am getting old and like the longer rides rather than bar hopping. Once you have all of these items and realize you really don't need to impress the other riders at your local watering hole you'll appreciate the bigger bikes. Could one of you younger members help an old fella down from his soap box??? [smiley=soapbox.gif]

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #125 on: January 23, 2007, 09:32:45 PM »

Well I s'pose you could do what I do. I have the Ultimate Screamin Eagle Road King in Elvis and the Ultimate non Screamin Eagle Road Glide in Los Dragon.

Chip and Hogasm taught me this one

If one is good, two are better and three is orgasmic  8-)

Since Beagle's got the classiest SEEG in the known universe and we share everything but wives and toilet paper, it's like we've both got three bikes anyway. Four actually when you toss in Hank's.

B B
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 09:34:41 PM by SPIDERMAN »

KentuckyHarleyDude

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #126 on: January 23, 2007, 09:35:42 PM »

Here's a topic with no real answer. Who is better Mantle or Mays?...Did I date myself with that one? They're both great of course.

Actually I thought Mantle and Mays were great but I think Roberto Clemente was the best all around ball player I ever saw ....

Dude

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #127 on: January 23, 2007, 09:39:37 PM »

Actually I thought Mantle and Mays were great but I think Roberto Clemente was the best all around ball player I ever saw ....

Dude

Teddy Ballgame fellas, hands down the best ever. Let's not even waste posts arguing about it cause there just ain't no argument can be made.

B B

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #128 on: January 23, 2007, 09:44:30 PM »

Red, don't know exactly how the moco plans things but when I started looking to for a possible trade of my '06 cuse for an '07 several dealers told me that the moco pushed out quite a few '06 cuse's even after the '07s were introduced.  So they said they had unsold '06s and weren't interested in a trade.
You're not the first person I've heard that from.  I've heard that there were some dealers that still had new 06 SEUC's available...don't know where, but I seem to remember I read some one in the forum mentioned that.  My dealer told me that's not uncommon when a new engine is introduced.  Supposedly that happened to the EVO when the TC88 was first introduced.  Personally, I think it's so the dealership can offer you less in trade...I guess that's why dealers around here are offerning up to $2000 off MSRP for their leftover 06's
Red

2012 FLHXSE3

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #129 on: January 23, 2007, 09:54:50 PM »

The UC and EG ride the same. I did buy an EG in '98, and I did go back to the RK! No matter what anyone says, only Cobaltman will know which one he likes better. I swear by RK's and the '07 SERK is the Ultimate Road King!!! They nailed this bike, and can't see myself on any other Touring Bike. One guy said it here best and I agree. If you want a 2-wheeled convertible, buy a UC. If you want a touring motorcycle, buy a Road King! Nothing more I can say. it's a personal decision! ;) Hoist! 8-)
There's definitely nothing wrong with an RK, they are sweet looking rides.  It all boils down to taste and personal preference...The Ultra's no better than the King if your a King rider and vice versa, we ride what we ride cuz it fits our wants and desires.   Makes no never mind to me, I'll ride with anyone no matter what you ride, as long as you want to share the experience of riding two wheels in the wind.  :D
Red

2012 FLHXSE3

RATKING

• Enjoy the Ride; Get Back Safe!
« Reply #130 on: January 23, 2007, 11:25:41 PM »

[smiley=soapbox.gif]   Just realized that the picture did not show up, I am trying again.  This is of my 1981 Heritage, the first in the Heritage line.  Farley

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #131 on: January 24, 2007, 08:10:31 AM »

'

Bama

That's a strange comment coming from a man with a Ultra as his avatar!
But,, truth is stranger than fiction!

[smiley=nixweiss.gif]

« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 08:11:24 AM by Silver-Black »

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #132 on: January 24, 2007, 08:20:33 AM »

'

Bama
I think I have a warranty claim with the MoCo, my SEUC didn't come with the "rag-top", and if I've got a convertable on two wheels I want the rag-top for when it rains.  [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] Where the heck is the rag-top stowed anyway?  In the Tour Pak?  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
Red

2012 FLHXSE3

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #133 on: January 24, 2007, 10:35:52 AM »

Yes RedDevil, on the 2007 Ultras that is why you have the loose looking leather TourPak. it's cleverly concealed in it. You just yank real hard on the pack leather and it stretches over you and you attach it to the windscreen! With the optional chrome harware available for $100 at your dealer.  [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #134 on: January 24, 2007, 10:39:48 AM »

Yes RedDevil, on the 2007 Ultras that is why you have the loose looking leather TourPak. it's cleverly concealed in it. You just yank real hard on the pack leather and it stretches over you and you attach it to the windscreen! With the optional chrome harware available for $100 at your dealer.  [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]

Yeah, I think You gotta push the Automatic trunk opener button on your dashboard 3 times, twirl in a circle, hop on 1 leg for 30 seconds, and push the button again! ;D ;D ;D Hoist! 8-)

Ghost Rider

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM # WHORE

« Reply #135 on: January 24, 2007, 10:50:10 AM »

Yeah, I think You gotta push the Automatic trunk opener button on your dashboard 3 times, twirl in a circle, hop on 1 leg for 30 seconds, and push the button again! ;D ;D ;D Hoist! 8-)

Your close Howie.  That is how you turn off the security alarm without the FOB.   [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

MTB

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #136 on: January 24, 2007, 12:05:43 PM »

I had an EG classic for 4 years and just sold it to buy my 2007 SERK. The EG is a very smooth and comfortable bike but it is HEAVY. I took it on a few long trips (Sturgis '05 and Nova Scotia '06) and on the highway it is lovely (altough I will say that going 70 mph on an interstate makes the stereo very hard to hear!). My biggest problem was the weight of the bike in traffic or in crowded places. It is not an easy machine to turn in a smallish radius. In fact I tipped it over on the highway bars a few times. On the other hand, the SERK feels alot more manageable for me. Sure, it doesn't have the batwing and the radio, but the weight distribution feels very comfortable to me.

It is clearly a personal preference. They are both nice, but keep in mind that the SEEG will not be as manageable in slower traffic or crowded conditions. Anyway, that was my experience. I am very happy with the SERK.

skyglide

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #137 on: January 24, 2007, 12:35:32 PM »

Thats how it works?? Im going out to the garage to try it. Always wondered why the leather tourpack had so many wrinkles ;D This is way cool. Just another added benifit to the UC [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #138 on: January 24, 2007, 02:12:29 PM »

Your close Howie.  That is how you turn off the security alarm without the FOB.   [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Yeah, that's right Travis, I got my 8 hour HD security system training on Sat. the Convertible top training was the Sunday 8 hour session! ;) Hoist! 8-)

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 10 [All]

Page created in 0.602 seconds with 24 queries.