Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 10 [All]

Author Topic: I now see why The Motor Company is in trouble  (Read 33311 times)

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
I now see why The Motor Company is in trouble
« on: June 28, 2015, 12:11:11 PM »

BEWARE yes this is a rant.

I have owned many a Harley and many a CVO Harley since 1975. I have NEVER had to call the MOCO about anything ever. For the last few years I have listened to AXIL rant over quality control and what he described as POS Harley's and OVERPAID Union Workers that didn't give a chit about their jobs. I just use to laugh and shrugged it off as a disgruntled OLD MAN!!! Well while taking a trip around the US last year on my 2012 SEULTRA I encountered an electrical problem. I was only a few days into a month long trip and was in Sturgis. The problem was for the accessory circuit. The bike had been in for warranty service before for the same problem. The warranty on the bike was ready to run out and I was not going to let it sit at Rapid City HD for 5 days waiting on service. There was a Factory rep on site and he wrote me up a SR (service request) for warranty service. It could be done at my Dealer at home. I was never told when the service had to be completed. Just take it to my Dealer and give them the card. Well when I got home I parked the bike and left for my place in Delaware at the beach. I own 4 CVO Harley's and really don't ride the Ultra that much. Well the time came to change the oil and clean her up and get a new rear tire from the trip 10 months ago. After that I decide I didn't need the new SELIMITED and the SEULTRA, so the 2012 was sent to the Dealer to be sold. I told them about the electrical problem and gave them the card. Now mind you I have NOT ridden or really even seen the bike since the trip. Well the Dealer calls me and tells me the MOCO denied my Service Request. Reason I asked???? Well it seems I was only given 2 weeks from the time the SR was written to get the service done. ARE YOU KIDDING ME???? So for the first time in my life I had to call the MOCO. Funny the person that turned down the request answered the phone. Well he already knew the bike had the ESP protection and told me that would be my best avenue to take IF I WANTED THE BIKE FIXED!!!! I explained the entire scenario to him. Including that I was in Delaware and the bike was in Maryland. Didn't matter at all. He told me you only had 2 weeks to get it fixed. Well it would have been nice if someone would have told me that. Like I said that is not my go to bike to ride, especially while I am at the Beach!!!

My problem is the bike had the problem while it was still under the original factory warranty. It was an ongoing problem with the bike. The bike had been sitting since I returned from my trip. Didn't matter he was not going to approve it at all!!!

I am glad I am getting old and slowing down a bit. BUT at this point in time in my life I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER NEW HARLEY DAVIDSON as long as I live. They are the worse when it comes to quality control and customer service. Way to go HARLEY DAVIDSON, you are running that Motor Company into the ground just to please the penny pinchers!!!! So AXIL I am sorry for doubting you at all. It has been said that the product leaving the factory now is the worse in MOCO History!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG     
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 02:57:03 PM by DCFIREMANN »
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

hogasm

Re: I now see why The Motor Company is in trouble
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 12:43:43 PM »

Mike sorry it took you till 2015 to figure this out :oops:

I told the MOCO rep in 2005 in Sturgis after 52 warranted items on my 04

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 12:53:25 PM »

Yeap, there's a reason (reasons) I built my own last "new" old bike from scratch spending almost nothing with the MoCo doing it.

r0de_runr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Officer Scott Noller RIP, 01/04/1989 - 12/28/2017
    • TX

• CVO1: 2019 Ultra Limited 114
    • CVO2: 2022 Heritage 114
    • CVO3: SOLD: 2014 Ultra Limited; SOLD: 2012 CVO Street Glide, SOLD 2016 BMW
    • Wichitagreg
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 03:23:00 PM »

Sorry, but I think this is a petty complaint compared to all the bad compensators, valve guides, and similar.

Also, Harley (and I) probably thought you didn't really care much about the problem if it took you that long to get some free work done.

Four CVO's?  A house on the beach?  I just cant sympathize, sorry.

It's kind of like you sell a guy a bike, he calls you about a problem, you say bring it by and he'll make it right, then you don't hear from him for 10 months.

Greg
formerly WichitaGreg
Lives in the TX Hill Country
AKA r0de_runr
Explore your VA Benefits:  http://1.usa.gov/1NPzKkM

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2015, 03:30:12 PM »

Sorry, but I think this is a petty complaint compared to all the bad compensators, valve guides, and similar.

Also, Harley (and I) probably thought you didn't really care much about the problem if it took you that long to get some free work done.

It's kind of like you sell a guy a bike, he calls you about a problem, you say bring it by and he'll make it right, then you don't hear from him for 10 months.

The time factor is less relevant than the fact that it was a recurrent failure reported while in warranty that, therefore, should have been a warranty claim regardless of the factory rep's notice or report; and that then was dismissed.  It's more of the oft dismissive attitude that comes from the MoCo.

As to any relative nature of this issue compared to others I'm reminded of the old line about how one defines the difference between major and minor surgery.  That being that minor surgery is anything done to anyone else!

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 1986 FXR Super Glide - antique, but the Evo lives on!
    • A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2015, 05:17:13 PM »

Whether I owned one CVO or ten I'd be ranting as well. Perhaps in the MoCo view it's best to stay near home with the bike in lieu of doing what they're designed to do - tour... I wouldn't have given up untold days for a repair while on an extended trip unless my bike wouldn't run.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2015, 06:27:03 PM »

10 Months is too long to wait. Not suprised at this. Two weeks seems fair to me.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2015, 07:37:31 PM »

10 Months is too long to wait. Not suprised at this. Two weeks seems fair to me.

I can't say it any better than Twolanerider already said it - so in his words.....

The time factor is less relevant than the fact that it was a recurrent failure reported while in warranty that, therefore, should have been a warranty claim regardless of the factory rep's notice or report; and that then was dismissed.  It's more of the oft dismissive attitude that comes from the MoCo.

As to any relative nature of this issue compared to others I'm reminded of the old line about how one defines the difference between major and minor surgery.  That being that minor surgery is anything done to anyone else!
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2015, 07:59:44 PM »

I live in Vermont and they have a lemon law.  Off the top of my head and summarized, if a car has to be repaired three times for the same problem over a set time you can invoke the lemon law.  When I read the law, I was shocked to see motorcycles were not covered by the law.  I always wondered who MoCo paid off to get this exclusion.

http://dmv.vermont.gov/safety/laws/lemonlaw

I wish more states would hold manufactures responsible for lemon laws.

:oops: :nixweiss:
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2015, 01:56:20 PM »

Well if you read the original post completely you would have read it was the fist couple of days of a MONTH LONG TRIP!!!!! I'm sorry but I am not going to cut my vacation short because of The MOCO!!!! It has been and still is an ongoing problem that should have been fixed THE FIRST TIME!!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2015, 02:00:29 PM »

Was it stipulated in writing that the work had to be done in two weeks? Is that when the factory warranty ran out?

Hey if you need to buy a new bike get an Indian I did. ;)

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2015, 02:03:11 PM »

Well when you are a paid Firefighter making a lot less then the private sector, you must work more then one job to make ends meet. I worked 3 jobs my entire career. As far as the beach house. Yea it is 7 miles from the Ocean and that is where I am retiring. Hence owning two houses till The Mountain house sells!!!! 4 CVO's yep from 2002 to 2014. When I pay one off if I see something I like I buy it. I am currently retired from the Department and still working!!!!! So tell me how rough your life really is!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2015, 02:07:44 PM »

Was it stipulated in writing that the work had to be done in two weeks? Is that when the factory warranty ran out?

Hey if you need to buy a new bike get an Indian I did. ;)

When I was given the card the warranty still had 10 days left on it. There was nothing in writing or was I told I only had 2 weeks. I told the Factory Rep I was going to be on the road for a month!!!! The Customer Service Rep told me he would only honor it for 2 weeks from the day I received it.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2015, 08:26:30 PM »

The problem was for the accessory circuit. The bike had been in for warranty service before for the same problem.

Just curious did they claim to fix it the first time it was brought in or did they say "unable to duplicate problem" and send you on your way?

As a side note, I thought that certain replacement parts carried a 12 month warranty starting from the date the dealer installed them.

I will agree that it's getting much harder to receive good customer service at more and more dealerships... :(
I haven't had to deal directly with HD customer service about anything yet....
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2015, 09:37:41 PM »

I was told it was fixed the first time it went in for service. I now look back and should have know better with all of the problems the MOCO has had since the release of the 110 motor. It seems the quality of the Motorcycles has gone done since then. It's a crying shame that they can put a number like 40K on a Motorcycle and send them out the door with all of the problems they have.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2015, 09:43:18 PM »

I do not think the length of your trip, ie: your schedule, should of had anything to do with it. Even a month was to long to wait, to me. I just do not agree with you that HD is wrong this time. Also I have had three 110's and no problems so I do not agree on your comments regarding that either. Sorry you had trouble.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2015, 10:48:49 PM »

I do not think the length of your trip, ie: your schedule, should of had anything to do with it. Even a month was to long to wait, to me. I just do not agree with you that HD is wrong this time. Also I have had three 110's and no problems so I do not agree on your comments regarding that either. Sorry you had trouble.

Jerry or Scott with more background in the industry should speak to this. But I really thought there was contractual warranty obligation for a recurring warranty failure that persists after the warranty date.

Timbuck2

• AK

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2015, 12:25:38 AM »

"I have owned many a Harley and many a CVO Harley since 1975. I have NEVER had to call the MOCO about anything ever."

Sounds to me like you have had 40 years of problem free motorcycles until this one MINOR electrical issue.  Your luck is better than most.  Even after your one month trip it still took nine months to get the bike in.   It obviously was not a priority.  I can't say the MOCO was wrong in this case

Mr. Warlock

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - unnamed
    • CVO2: 2011 Softail Convertable "Bourbon Betty" - Traded
    • CVO3: 2005 SE FatBoy - Sold
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2015, 05:03:03 AM »

If a warrant-able issue / item is made known "in writing" prior to a warranty running out it is to be warranted. I'm sure that there is a reasonable amount of time in which this would need to be brought in for the repairs and in the eyes of corporate law I'm sure there is some sort of time frame that is considered legit to decline a claim. 2 weeks is not a reasonable amount of time, 10 months, not so sure. Trust me I'm not on the MoCo's side here just looking at it logically.
So in one instance you are completely justified in expecting service on the other hand maybe not so much, I don't know what that "reasonable" length of time is. I would be just as mad as you but probably equally mad at myself for not having taken it in to have the work done for that 10 months.

Lived hard and fast, laughed harder than humans have a right to and continue to do so.

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2015, 10:13:20 AM »

Is there anything on the service card that indicates an expiration date?

And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!

J-Carr

• Got to keep the Loonies on the path
  • Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2015, 12:15:25 PM »

My first issue would be with the dealer who "fixed" it the first time.  Fixed means no longer broken.  So that's where I'd call.

Having said that, I know my dealer would take care of it as long as I let them know right away.  If I was on a trip they'd wait until I got back.  They'd probably have made an appointment for a mutually acceptable date after the completion of the trip.  That's unusual. And I know that.  And to be honest, I don't know that everyone still gets that kind of service. I do because I'm a volunteer there, and have been for 10+ years.  My son also worked there.  They used to be this way for everyone.  I've heard stuff that makes me wonder if they still are.

Regardless, they had a problem and they should take care of it.  It's good business for them and it's the right thing to do.  The only exception I would've made is if you'd kept riding it.  Obviously they want to get it fixed before it got worse.  Otherwise everyone would report a knock bang or tick and than ride it until it popped and go get a new engine.  But this isn't that case.

As to the comments effectively saying your problems aren't a big deal because of how many bikes you own?  Its good that comment was made on a polite forum.  I have some seriously inappropriate comments running through my head.  It was that kind of stupidity that kept me away for a couple of years.  I don't care if your Donald Trump.  Getting poor quality service when you're buying an already outrageously over priced and under quality item is unacceptable.  I appreciate that you worked as a public service all your life.  I appreciate that you had to work extra for your toys.  And its none of my damn business.  I had a few comments to add to finish that thought, but I will keep my record of not getting banned intact and leave them un-typed.

Me, Screamin' Nemo and The Kid.

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2015, 12:44:26 PM »

When I was given the card the warranty still had 10 days left on it. There was nothing in writing or was I told I only had 2 weeks. I told the Factory Rep I was going to be on the road for a month!!!! The Customer Service Rep told me he would only honor it for 2 weeks from the day I received it.

Be Safe

THE DAWG

From a strict legal point of view the warranty had run out and unless an extension in writing was given from a person with the power to do so I think you are out of luck expecting to have compensation. The fact that you intended to out on the road for a month in no way forces the company to extend the warranty. I think this whole thing is unfortunate for you and your only leg to stand on is the fact that the item was not fully repaired the first time when it was covered under the policy.

Good luck and I mean no ill will for you, just interpreting what i have read on here and knowing that the HD company does really care for any of us personally.

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2015, 12:17:06 AM »

Is there anything on the service card that indicates an expiration date?

No not at all. Nothing verbal from the Rep either. Maryland has  1 year on the contract from the MOCO. I could break it off in their a___, but I'm not looking to hold up the sale of the bike. I will just never buy a new Bike from Harley again. It is people in our age group that is keeping Harley Davidson a float. They keep it up and they will be done!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2015, 12:20:23 AM »

My first issue would be with the dealer who "fixed" it the first time.  Fixed means no longer broken.  So that's where I'd call.

Having said that, I know my dealer would take care of it as long as I let them know right away.  If I was on a trip they'd wait until I got back.  They'd probably have made an appointment for a mutually acceptable date after the completion of the trip.  That's unusual. And I know that.  And to be honest, I don't know that everyone still gets that kind of service. I do because I'm a volunteer there, and have been for 10+ years.  My son also worked there.  They used to be this way for everyone.  I've heard stuff that makes me wonder if they still are.

Regardless, they had a problem and they should take care of it.  It's good business for them and it's the right thing to do.  The only exception I would've made is if you'd kept riding it.  Obviously they want to get it fixed before it got worse.  Otherwise everyone would report a knock bang or tick and than ride it until it popped and go get a new engine.  But this isn't that case.

As to the comments effectively saying your problems aren't a big deal because of how many bikes you own?  Its good that comment was made on a polite forum.  I have some seriously inappropriate comments running through my head.  It was that kind of stupidity that kept me away for a couple of years.  I don't care if your Donald Trump.  Getting poor quality service when you're buying an already outrageously over priced and under quality item is unacceptable.  I appreciate that you worked as a public service all your life.  I appreciate that you had to work extra for your toys.  And its none of my damn business.  I had a few comments to add to finish that thought, but I will keep my record of not getting banned intact and leave them un-typed.
[/color]

Well for those who know me know I am being very calm right now. You are correct, it doesn't matter how many CVO's or what else I own. I worked for and earned every penny of it!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2015, 03:30:07 PM »

[/color]

. You are correct, it doesn't matter how many CVO's or what else I own. I worked for and earned every penny of it!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG

I agree with that. I should not be persecuted or judged badly because I have been a successful hard worker.

JONNIEROCK

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2015, 05:35:31 PM »

From a strict legal point of view the warranty had run out and unless an extension in writing was given from a person with the power to do so I think you are out of luck expecting to have compensation. The fact that you intended to out on the road for a month in no way forces the company to extend the warranty. I think this whole thing is unfortunate for you and your only leg to stand on is the fact that the item was not fully repaired the first time when it was covered under the policy.

Good luck and I mean no ill will for you, just interpreting what i have read on here and knowing that the HD company does really care for any of us personally.

You guy's have to stop drinking the company Kool-aid. If there is a warrenty problem that comes up during the warrenty period they are responsable for the repairs clear and simple. I've had the same problem during, and well after the warrenty was over and just told them I'm not paying. Just because they didn't fix it right the first time, the Dealer and the Motor company are still responsable for the repairs no matter how long it takes.
                       Jonnierock

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2015, 05:47:47 PM »

I agree with that. I should not be persecuted or judged badly because I have been a successful hard worker.
Sadly, though, this place has become Entitlement Nation, with so many people thinking they deserve whatever they want, when they want it, and those who work hard and buy more-expensive stuff are keeping them from having what they want.  I think they get angry b/c they want the nicer stuff and know they won't get it by handout.  [/rant]
If you want peace, prepare for war.

Road Dad

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - 117 CU
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2015, 07:48:29 PM »

I agree with you. Nothing wrong working hard and being successful.

I am still surprised how sensitive people are on this board. only time I get pissed is when I get shot at and so far I am doing okay. Meaning I am alive and the others aren't   (Last time was in an Apache)

[/color]

Well for those who know me know I am being very calm right now. You are correct, it doesn't matter how many CVO's or what else I own. I worked for and earned every penny of it!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2015, 09:57:52 AM »

Thanks for all of the replies. But the bottom line is I WANT MY BIKE FIXED and get it sold. Yesterday I did talk to my Lawyer ( he is a very good friend of mine) The discussion was just basic B/S and catching up on the last couple of months. I did bring up the bike though. He knows how I am about my bikes and was very surprised that I didn't get it taken care of right away. He also stated that the MOCO was liable and would most likely lose in a court of law. Not to mention the monies it would cost them to defend the case in Maryland. He also said they pull this crap knowing that most people won't even challenge the MOCO. So he did say that if I wanted him to file he would. The cost would be little or nothing. More cost to have the MOCO served then anything else. So I am not sure I want to go that route or not. Now if I would have known that they were not going to repair the bike I would have done it myself. But the bike is there and it will cost more to go get it and then take it back in just fuel.

Now the truth be known. When I got back off of my trip I was more interested in getting back to Delaware and see my girl friend and my Dog and completely forgot about the repairs to the bike. Hell I didn't even wash the bike and it was bad. 

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

J-Carr

• Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2015, 10:47:30 AM »

I agree with you. Nothing wrong working hard and being successful.

I am still surprised how sensitive people are on this board. only time I get pissed is when I get shot at and so far I am doing okay. Meaning I am alive and the others aren't   (Last time was in an Apache)
Glad you didn't get shot.  Too many weren't so lucky.

I am still surprised by how many insensitive people think its ok to say something mean or ignorant, but don't think its ok to be called out on it or have a mean or ignorant reply sent back.

Funny how that works.

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2015, 06:51:36 AM »

Glad you didn't get shot.  Too many weren't so lucky.

I am still surprised by how many insensitive people think its ok to say something mean or ignorant, but don't think its ok to be called out on it or have a mean or ignorant reply sent back.

Funny how that works.

I have to agree with you. but that is what males the world go round!!!!

Bike has bee fixed but I don't know yet if there is a bill or not. I know the Dealer was going to call the MOCO again to see if something could be done. If not it will be ESP!!!! It is still a shame that you have to fight to get warranty work done!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

r0de_runr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Officer Scott Noller RIP, 01/04/1989 - 12/28/2017
    • TX

• CVO1: 2019 Ultra Limited 114
    • CVO2: 2022 Heritage 114
    • CVO3: SOLD: 2014 Ultra Limited; SOLD: 2012 CVO Street Glide, SOLD 2016 BMW
    • Wichitagreg
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2015, 06:06:36 PM »

My comments were more in line with after 4CVO's you should be used to problems with Harleys...

And of course there is this: "
Now the truth be known. When I got back off of my trip I was more interested in getting back to Delaware and see my girl friend and my Dog and completely forgot about the repairs to the bike."
Greg
formerly WichitaGreg
Lives in the TX Hill Country
AKA r0de_runr
Explore your VA Benefits:  http://1.usa.gov/1NPzKkM

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2015, 12:06:59 AM »

DC fireman I salute you for your hard work!!! your cvo purchases provided someone with a good paying job! it is a shame the way you were treated by moco! most problems like this are noted in the computer and can be taken care of at a later date. congrats on a beach house and the pending retirement!! :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: maybe, a ride over to the beach house on a new :indian_chief: will help the sour taste moco left!!

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2015, 10:48:54 AM »

My comments were more in line with after 4CVO's you should be used to problems with Harleys...

And of course there is this: "
Now the truth be known. When I got back off of my trip I was more interested in getting back to Delaware and see my girl friend and my Dog and completely forgot about the repairs to the bike."

I understand. I think everyone took your comment out of context. Now truth be know I have had NO problems with my CVO's till the 12 and they were minor and they were quality control problems. Now the 14 CVO Limited has some issues along with recalls. I will get it all taken care of with one trip to the Dealer. This winter the motor comes off the frame to be built bullet proof!! Soooo tomorrow I am going to the Dealer and see what the outcome is on the bike in question!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2015, 01:43:04 PM »

A few days before the warranty goes away, you were fortunate enough to get a rep to essentially give you a "complete your vacation" pass.
You waited nearly a year to try to redeem this 'courtesy pass' and you get incensed because it wasn't "open-ended" in term.
It is my opinion that you are being absurd in this regard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rhetorical questions, who needs 'em?

2010FLHTCUSE5
Dethroned Garage Queen, Sullied 2013

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2015, 02:13:38 PM »

Give 'em hell, DAWG!   8)  LAter--HUBBARD
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2015, 03:27:14 PM »

A few days before the warranty goes away, you were fortunate enough to get a rep to essentially give you a "complete your vacation" pass.
You waited nearly a year to try to redeem this 'courtesy pass' and you get incensed because it wasn't "open-ended" in term.

If this hadn't been a previously not just occurring but recurring problem I'd completely agree.  It had been though.  That it was a recurring warranty issue is what alters the circumstances.

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2015, 06:29:07 PM »

If I had been told THERE WAS A TIME FRAME then it would have been taken care. The bike is parked but not at my PRIMARY RESIDENCE and in another STATE!!!! This was not the first time that this had happened either. As Twolane said it was a RECURRING PROBLEM. When I got home the bike got no miles till it was taken to the dealer. They should have taken care of it!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 06:36:20 PM by DCFIREMANN »
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2015, 07:14:58 PM »

If I had been told THERE WAS A TIME FRAME then it would have been taken care. The bike is parked but not at my PRIMARY RESIDENCE and in another STATE!!!! This was not the first time that this had happened either. As Twolane said it was a RECURRING PROBLEM. When I got home the bike got no miles till it was taken to the dealer. They should have taken care of it!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG

Face it Mike, good company relations nor expectations nor any sense of (earned nor unearned) loyalty notwithstanding you were wrong.  You know this because, of course, you've read it (here) on the Internet.  So it must be true.  Not only wrong but asinine, inane, stupid, flatulent, obtuse, narcissistic, self-entitled, parasitic and downright f(^)%(*g greedy.  Truth be told you should be laid between two opposite direction riding Honda Shadows that each have high test fishing line tied around each of your testicles for ever suggesting the idea that a failure that had repeatedly presented and was unrepaired during warranty might have some later redress.  You sniveling asshole.    :huepfenlol2:

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2015, 07:46:43 PM »

Face it Mike, good company relations nor expectations nor any sense of (earned nor unearned) loyalty notwithstanding you were wrong.  You know this because, of course, you've read it (here) on the Internet.  So it must be true.  Not only wrong but asinine, inane, stupid, flatulent, obtuse, narcissistic, self-entitled, parasitic and downright f(^)%(*g greedy.  Truth be told you should be laid between two opposite direction riding Honda Shadows that each have high test fishing line tied around each of your testicles for ever suggesting the idea that a failure that had repeatedly presented and was unrepaired during warranty might have some later redress.  You sniveling asshole.    :huepfenlol2:

Whew...  Someone finally said it...  Lesson learned for all...    :coolblue:

Why is our forum beginning to feel like a dwindling IQ twilight zone?
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2015, 08:28:22 PM »

Perhaps the most entertaining thread of 2015 so far?  Buncha stupid comments that are funny and a dose of wit and sarcasm that's even funnier.  :2vrolijk_21:

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2015, 05:42:18 AM »

Don I represent ALL of that!!!!!! LMMFAO!!!!! Ok I give. LESSON LEARNED!!!!

Next time I will just go buy a Honda Goldwing!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2015, 05:45:50 AM »

Perhaps the most entertaining thread of 2015 so far?  Buncha stupid comments that are funny and a dose of wit and sarcasm that's even funnier.  :2vrolijk_21:

Well it started out as a rant. But now it is kinda funny. Even funnier, as much hell as I have raised over this, I have not even checked on the bike to see what the outcome was or is!!!!

Be Safe

THEDAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2015, 10:46:44 AM »

;D

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2015, 01:55:23 PM »

I re-read the original post with all the CapsLock screaming that "I'll never buy another" despite apparently many years and many bikes without any trouble. But now, after one minor glitch that isn't even a towing event, you flop on the floor kicking your feet and screaming like a toddler in a pity fit.
They gave you a reprieve from the warranty clock to save your trip and you didn't give a crap about it when you got back, just hopped a plane and flew off to your other place. It was a choice you made because it wasn't important at that time (according to you). You had to know that you were electing to blow it off at that time.
So now, after nearly a year, you assume that the moco rep gave you a pass good for perpetuity(?)
You say that since it was a repeated issue within the warranty period that they should fix it if it ever happens again. Really? Like, forever?
You say that since you were not using the bike or even in the same residence, that somehow Harley's clock should stand still...because, well, you weren't there, so the calendar shouldn't count..somehow. BTW: that's never ever worked for me; good luck with that claim.
Have you told them that they have to extend your original warranty for the twenty months that you weren't there with the bike over the last couple of years? I mean that would fix everything, wouldn't it?
The thread loses its humor due to pettiness.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 02:22:52 PM by MrSurly »

2010FLHTCUSE5

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2015, 03:45:27 PM »

Don I represent ALL of that!!!!!! LMMFAO!!!!! Ok I give. LESSON LEARNED!!!!

Next time I will just go buy a Honda Goldwing!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG

OH HELL!!!!! A GW????? While your at it just cut your balls off and throw them in the ditch cause you ain't need'n them on the GW. We know all GW riders are balless bastards with toupees where the ole lady really drives from the passenger pillion.

I too really love the over kill beating you are taking over this issue. Suck it up buttercup, get you wallet out and pay for the chit that happens in life. :D :D

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2015, 04:17:40 PM »

Some folks just can't stand to have their beloved MoCo badmouthed.  I used to get upset when jerks would bash me for not drinking the Kool-Aid, but now I just consider the source(s) and laugh it off.  In this case I have to love how the bashers constantly ignore the part about this being a recurring issue that Harley never fixed during the warranty, even before the rep gave Dawg the service order that had no expiration date on it.  No, all they want to do is bash Dawg because he didn't immediately drop his other plans and take that bike directly to a dealership, in hopes they would finally fix it right.  Dawg, you've got to learn how to grab your ankles and keep your thoughts and feelings to yourself.  Try some Kool-Aid and see if it helps.

Jerry ;D
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2015, 04:38:31 PM »

Jerry I don't think Harley is terribly unique. I doubt that any motor company really loves or cares about the people, it's only the money they crave. Profits are all that matter and pleasing people is only important in the way it correlates into profits. The companies that don't even try to appear to please the customers are destined to loose sales in the long run.

Now jump in here and give the DAWG a bowl of chit.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2015, 04:43:55 PM »

OH HELL!!!!! A GW????? While your at it just cut your balls off and throw them in the ditch cause you ain't need'n them on the GW. We know all GW riders are balless bastards with toupees where the ole lady really drives from the passenger pillion.
I hate to say but this isn't only GW's :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:
I too really love the over kill beating you are taking over this issue. Suck it up buttercup, get you wallet out and pay for the chit that happens in life. :D :D

J-Carr

• Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2015, 05:15:38 PM »

I re-read the original post with all the CapsLock screaming that "I'll never buy another" despite apparently many years and many bikes without any trouble. But now, after one minor glitch that isn't even a towing event, you flop on the floor kicking your feet and screaming like a toddler in a pity fit.
They gave you a reprieve from the warranty clock to save your trip and you didn't give a crap about it when you got back, just hopped a plane and flew off to your other place. It was a choice you made because it wasn't important at that time (according to you). You had to know that you were electing to blow it off at that time.
So now, after nearly a year, you assume that the moco rep gave you a pass good for perpetuity(?)
You say that since it was a repeated issue within the warranty period that they should fix it if it ever happens again. Really? Like, forever?
You say that since you were not using the bike or even in the same residence, that somehow Harley's clock should stand still...because, well, you weren't there, so the calendar shouldn't count..somehow. BTW: that's never ever worked for me; good luck with that claim.
Have you told them that they have to extend your original warranty for the twenty months that you weren't there with the bike over the last couple of years? I mean that would fix everything, wouldn't it?

Yeah, I guess I should think like you...

So I have a 8 year old bike (by choice) that I bought new with the ESP.  It's on radio #4 which is dying again.  Each time the same problem.  The speakers just cut out.  Switch the speaker switch to headset, run it a few minutes, then switch back and I have speakers again.  The ESP ran out last August and I did get 3 years out of this last radio.

So I'm happy.  I mean, it can't be that the MoCo can't figure out anything on its products that have electrons running through it.  I mean, it's not the "ElCo (Electric Company).  It's the MoCo.  And the ESP is up.  Even though each time the item was "fixed" it's broken again in the exact same manner.  It couldn't be a defective design that they didn't want to spend the money to make right.  I mean I should've bought a new bike with no new features for 2k more MSRP each year.  Who expects 8 years out of the most expensive production motorcycle on the road (I don't count repeat customs like Big Dog as production).

I've adjusted my poor thinking and expectations of customer service that made Harley a brand that people would tattoo on their body.  I mean I've worked with complete sniveling whiners like marketing people who have told me that brands drive business so I must be happy because it's a really cool brand with amazing wowee colors and all.  It couldn't possibly be that quality, customer service, an understanding of the lifestyle they served might have created the brand. Nope that brand speaks for itself and I'm just super fine glad damn happy to be ready to buy radio 5 this year since my ESP is done.

Yep.  I'm sure glad to buy Chevy quality and Walmart customer service for Cadillac prices.

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2015, 06:57:23 PM »

I can promise you I will never buy another NEW HARLEY!!!!! If I would have been told that there was a time limit of 2 weeks, it would have been taken care of. If I had known they were not going to fix it I would HAVE FIXED IT MYSELF!!!! Yes I have the knowledge and the means and a best friend who is a Master Tech for Harley. This apparently is nothing new for Harley. They do it ALL OF THE TIME according to my Friend. It is so bad now that he said he also would never buy another new one. While I have had warranty problems in the past ( nothing major) I have done all of my own repairs. Why you ask??? Because I don't trust the Dealers or the Motor Company. Soooooo even though they extended the warranty for 1 week ( I still had a little over a week left on the original warranty) they really didn't do me any favors. I was on the road for a month. Bottom line is HARLEY DAVIDSON's QUALITY CONTROL SUCKS!!!! So MrSurly please if you ever have a warranty problem that continues till your warranty runs out and it never gets fixed DON'T POST IT ON HERE!!!!! I just happen to know a few people that will have a field day with you!!!!

Now back to our originally scheduled program!!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #51 on: July 09, 2015, 07:00:26 PM »

[/color]

Dr. D I have sucked it up and I am enjoying life as usual!!!! If I go the extended warranty route all the cost wil be is 50.00. Now all of the Gold Wing comments were unnecessary. Very true but very unnecessary!!!!! LMAO!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #52 on: July 09, 2015, 07:01:47 PM »

Some folks just can't stand to have their beloved MoCo badmouthed.  I used to get upset when jerks would bash me for not drinking the Kool-Aid, but now I just consider the source(s) and laugh it off.  In this case I have to love how the bashers constantly ignore the part about this being a recurring issue that Harley never fixed during the warranty, even before the rep gave Dawg the service order that had no expiration date on it.  No, all they want to do is bash Dawg because he didn't immediately drop his other plans and take that bike directly to a dealership, in hopes they would finally fix it right.  Dawg, you've got to learn how to grab your ankles and keep your thoughts and feelings to yourself.  Try some Kool-Aid and see if it helps.

Jerry ;D
[/color][/color]

Thanks Jerry. Hey I am very thick Skin so all of this B/S is just rolling off of my back!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 07:05:27 PM by DCFIREMANN »
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #53 on: July 09, 2015, 07:04:42 PM »

Yeah, I guess I should think like you...

So I have a 8 year old bike (by choice) that I bought new with the ESP.  It's on radio #4 which is dying again.  Each time the same problem.  The speakers just cut out.  Switch the speaker switch to headset, run it a few minutes, then switch back and I have speakers again.  The ESP ran out last August and I did get 3 years out of this last radio.

So I'm happy.  I mean, it can't be that the MoCo can't figure out anything on its products that have electrons running through it.  I mean, it's not the "ElCo (Electric Company).  It's the MoCo.  And the ESP is up.  Even though each time the item was "fixed" it's broken again in the exact same manner.  It couldn't be a defective design that they didn't want to spend the money to make right.  I mean I should've bought a new bike with no new features for 2k more MSRP each year.  Who expects 8 years out of the most expensive production motorcycle on the road (I don't count repeat customs like Big Dog as production).

I've adjusted my poor thinking and expectations of customer service that made Harley a brand that people would tattoo on their body.  I mean I've worked with complete sniveling whiners like marketing people who have told me that brands drive business so I must be happy because it's a really cool brand with amazing wowee colors and all.  It couldn't possibly be that quality, customer service, an understanding of the lifestyle they served might have created the brand. Nope that brand speaks for itself and I'm just super fine glad damn happy to be ready to buy radio 5 this year since my ESP is done.

Yep.  I'm sure glad to buy Chevy quality and Walmart customer service for Cadillac prices.

EXACTLY!!!!! I love how all of the newbies are busting on me. They have not lived through the nightmare yet!!!! Karma is a bitch!!!!! They better not post about any problems because I will be on them like smell on chit!!!! LMAO!!!! You all know it's a Firemann thing!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #54 on: July 09, 2015, 07:07:03 PM »

You likely know about all this already JC.  If not, however, when the radio finishes crapping out (again) do two things. 

1)Make sure the risers bolts aren't hitting the radio.  This is a known issue with a factory service bulletin (that most techs likely never saw).  This minor (road banging radio killing kinetic repetitive impact) touch will cause the radio's planned obsolescence (premature damned death). 

2) Send radio to Iron Cross for repair.  The radios had other issues also, however, that are internal and terminal (they just fu*%g die).  Rather than working through the planned obsolescence steps (repeatedly paying HD until they've obsoleted your parts and you have to buy a new bike) you could just fix it (fix it) by sending it to Iron Cross (Iron Cross).

Iron Cross (Iron Cross [odd how the parenthetic notations for places with logic and common sense and without duplicity are actually just redundant to the original good ideas]) will repair it, well (well), for less than the cost that you'd get a reman'd radio from the MoCo (MoFoCo).

JC, I understand that this process, notwithstanding the practical and fiduciary personal logical, goes against the SOP for maintaining a Harley Davidson Motorcycle and the special relationship (bend over) that must be maintained with the Motor Company.  So it is with some trepidation that I make these suggestions.  If, however, you choose to be a better MoCo rider than I and follow the Company path I do have a suggestion for your radio issues there too.

Buy three radios when this one fails.  You'll then have adequate spares to cover future failures for at least four more years and you'll be investing admirably in all of our shared future mandatory commitment to the Motor Company.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #55 on: July 10, 2015, 12:51:13 AM »

Buy three radios when this one fails.  You'll then have adequate spares to cover future failures for at least four more years and you'll be investing admirably in all of our shared future mandatory commitment to the Motor Company.

This is excellent advice!  :2vrolijk_21: 

I carry 2 bottles of Genuine HD 20/20 blinker fluid, 2 1/2 Genuine Screamin' Eagle muffler bearings, a can of HD Twin Cooled headlight refills, 4 Willy G johnson bars, & an auto clutch rewinder designed by Walter's Workshop made from genuine faux unobtanium alloy .  My HD Genuine version 26.4 Screamin' Eagle Failproof Forever Really This Time We Mean It No Kidding compensator has failed twice to compensate properly, should I compensate by carrying 2 extra v.26.5 compensators to compensate for future compensator failure?   

My radio failed once, do not have a spare but am thinking if it fails again would be a good spot for a toaster since HD has that spiffy new Jelly Jar Mirror collection.  Then I wouldn't have to stop for breakfast.  If a Harley part fails, it is a subliminal message from the MoCo that a golden toilet seat at corporate needs replacing, & as Harley owners it is our duty. It was in the fine print of the contract.  I considered buying a Gold Wing also, but am not ready to gouge out my eyes.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #56 on: July 10, 2015, 02:44:44 AM »

I carry 2 bottles of Genuine HD 20/20 blinker fluid, 2 1/2 Genuine Screamin' Eagle muffler bearings, a can of HD Twin Cooled headlight refills, 4 Willy G johnson bars, & an auto clutch rewinder designed by Walter's Workshop made from genuine faux unobtanium alloy .  My HD Genuine version 26.4 Screamin' Eagle Failproof Forever Really This Time We Mean It No Kidding compensator has failed twice to compensate properly, should I compensate by carrying 2 extra v.26.5 compensators to compensate for future compensator failure?   

My radio failed once, do not have a spare but am thinking if it fails again would be a good spot for a toaster since HD has that spiffy new Jelly Jar Mirror collection.  Then I wouldn't have to stop for breakfast.  If a Harley part fails, it is a subliminal message from the MoCo that a golden toilet seat at corporate needs replacing, & as Harley owners it is our duty. It was in the fine print of the contract.  I considered buying a Gold Wing also, but am not ready to gouge out my eyes.

I've got a trailer to pull behind the bike but it wouldn't hold all that chit.  It's a good thing I don't have to carry the new style compensators.  Dodged a bullet there....

Also, the Willy G johnson bars are now obsolete.  So it's lucky yours got up your way before they prematurely popped out of inventory everywhere.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #57 on: July 10, 2015, 03:59:28 AM »

I've got a trailer to pull behind the bike but it wouldn't hold all that chit.  It's a good thing I don't have to carry the new style compensators.  Dodged a bullet there....

Also, the Willy G johnson bars are now obsolete.  So it's lucky yours got up your way before they prematurely popped out of inventory everywhere.

It's a best practice to tow a bike exactly like mine behind me on trips so can scavenge needed parts.  Works ok until I need a wheel.  Yeah, the Compensator Lottery is not as fun as it sounds.  Am hoping by v 127.8 they get a reliable version.  Good to know on those bars.  Mine are signed & one has the very rare happy face.

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #58 on: July 10, 2015, 07:33:41 AM »

Iski there is your problem. On Screamin Eagle models (ALL) you MUST use Genuine HD 20/18 blinker fluid!!!!!

Towlane thank you for keeping this thread entertaining!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #59 on: July 10, 2015, 07:57:17 AM »

Silliness aside, this problem IS on a bike already covered with an ESP, right?
(In original post)
I don't have an ESP to reference...is this an issue that the ESP would even address?
 If so, then maybe that's an option.
No doubt, there's the "principle of the thing" to get over and the hurdle of the deductible to overcome.

<silliness>
Clearly I can understand why you would *NEVER BUY ANOTHER Harley!!!!* after the excessive hardship and expense they've put you through here.
I'm surprised that you'd even let their dealership have your bike to work on or sell, given the devastation they have piled upon you.
You still have the option of civil litigation(!)

Or the tried-and-true glue some lemons on your clothes and picket!
<\silliness>

Us "newbies" can have opinions, too.  SOMEtimes, we can even be 'right'.
Despite taking a different position than some, I am no MOCO apologist; I'm not offended that someone has a beef with them, and I also despise the downgrading of the bearings/cranks/tolerances/compensators.
My position on your issue is my reaction to what I see as a ridiculous level of OVER-reaction on your part. Certainly, it should never have broken or broken repeatedly. Certainly it should've been fixed... and it might HAVE been if you hadn't waited so long to take it in. Your reaction, though, is seemingly WAY out of proportion to the injury. Punishment doesn't fit the crime; carpet doesn't match the drapes...
Good luck with whatever brand you buy next.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 11:55:23 AM by MrSurly »

2010FLHTCUSE5

J-Carr

• Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

« Reply #60 on: July 10, 2015, 10:20:14 AM »

You likely know about all this already JC.  If not, however, when the radio finishes crapping out (again) do two things. 

1)Make sure the risers bolts aren't hitting the radio.  This is a known issue with a factory service bulletin (that most techs likely never saw).  This minor (road banging radio killing kinetic repetitive impact) touch will cause the radio's planned obsolescence (premature damned death). 

2) Send radio to Iron Cross for repair.  The radios had other issues also, however, that are internal and terminal (they just fu*%g die).  Rather than working through the planned obsolescence steps (repeatedly paying HD until they've obsoleted your parts and you have to buy a new bike) you could just fix it (fix it) by sending it to Iron Cross (Iron Cross).

Iron Cross (Iron Cross [odd how the parenthetic notations for places with logic and common sense and without duplicity are actually just redundant to the original good ideas]) will repair it, well (well), for less than the cost that you'd get a reman'd radio from the MoCo (MoFoCo).

JC, I understand that this process, notwithstanding the practical and fiduciary personal logical, goes against the SOP for maintaining a Harley Davidson Motorcycle and the special relationship (bend over) that must be maintained with the Motor Company.  So it is with some trepidation that I make these suggestions.  If, however, you choose to be a better MoCo rider than I and follow the Company path I do have a suggestion for your radio issues there too.

Thanks Don, I did NOT know about the risers hitting the radio.  I don't think mine are though.  I moved the old blue tooth integration module from the tourpak to the fairing the day I brought it home (The dealer had installed it before I picked the bike up).  I've coiled the wires and slid them into a gap under the radio and above the other wires running down there.  I don't think they're pulled tight enough to cause an issue, but I will double check.  I know I'd have noticed if the radio wasn't clear of things because I used to do car audio installs and HATE the rattle or squeak that occurs if you don't have proper clearance and mounting.  I will double check to make sure the next time I pop the fairing.

Having realized (Thanks Iski!) now that I was sold the incorrect blinky juice (I shoulda known it required syn 18)  I've now decided to forgo HD and go with Iron Cross.  Actually, I never woulda paid for any HD radios.  The first three replacements were covered under warranty and ESP.  Of course I know I should be happy and not bitching because they keep fixing it, but I think I will go to Iron Cross anyway.  I've followed their posts and reviews and obviously this is a company that HD should hire to figure out their audio.  That's what high end companies who care about quality do.  The pay experts in electronics, or suspension or whatever and get the best to design and test systems that work.

Besides... then I can get the rear input jack hooked up without doing it myself.  ;D

When my bike gets to the point that I don't think it's reliable for long rides (It's only got 85,000 on it now) I will buy another HD.  Unless somebody else comes out with something different.  I hate their QC.  I hate their PC.  And I'm certainly not happy with design and innovation.  But I must ride.  It's in my blood and in my soul (A$$hole quoting lyrics - beware).  Of the options on the market there's nothing I like better than HD for what I want in a bike.  I just wish I could buy it and then enjoy it instead of fighting to get everything right on it.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #61 on: July 10, 2015, 10:44:41 AM »

Thanks Don, I did NOT know about the risers hitting the radio. 

When the radio failed in my 07 SEUC, it was hitting the riser bolt heads.  They are cap screw fasteners.  The bottom of the radio had two round indentions from two of the four riser head mounting screws.  The MOCO sells replacement "half head" cap screws to fix this condition.  Of course, for a more reasonable price, most hardware stores also sell half head cap screws for a fraction of the MOCO price.  I sent my radio to Iron Cross for repair and replaced the screws and it's been happily ever after on the radio front.  My symptoms were different from yours.  My issue was the CD player within the radio only...
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #62 on: July 10, 2015, 10:51:41 AM »

Iski there is your problem. On Screamin Eagle models (ALL) you MUST use Genuine HD 20/18 blinker fluid!!!!!

Towlane thank you for keeping this thread entertaining!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG

;D
Thanks DAWG!  Now I have no doubt voided my warranty.  If the lifters fail, the MoCo can blame it on out of spec blinkers!

Good luck on getting yours back right!  Is frustrating dealing with issues like yours.  Once upon a time the truly great companies stepped up & did the right thing as a matter of good business practice.  That number grows smaller each year.  Also JCs radio problem is much too common, unfortunately.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 10:53:53 AM by iski »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #63 on: July 10, 2015, 11:00:46 AM »

Silliness aside,

Silliness is all that was left.....

(there was even a penis joke)

smiley1049

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #64 on: July 10, 2015, 11:26:40 AM »

That was obvious in the first post !

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #65 on: July 10, 2015, 06:05:39 PM »

Silliness aside, this problem IS on a bike already covered with an ESP, right?
(In original post)
I don't have an ESP to reference...is this an issue that the ESP would even address?
 If so, then maybe that's an option.
No doubt, there's the "principle of the thing" to get over and the hurdle of the deductible to overcome.

<silliness>
Clearly I can understand why you would *NEVER BUY ANOTHER Harley!!!![/b]* after the excessive hardship and expense they've put you through here.
I'm surprised that you'd even let their dealership have your bike to work on or sell, given the devastation they have piled upon you.
You still have the option of civil litigation(!)

Or the tried-and-true glue some lemons on your clothes and picket!
<\silliness>

Us "newbies" can have opinions, too.  SOMEtimes, we can even be 'right'.
Despite taking a different position than some, I am no MOCO apologist; I'm not offended that someone has a beef with them, and I also despise the downgrading of the bearings/cranks/tolerances/compensators.
My position on your issue is my reaction to what I see as a ridiculous level of OVER-reaction on your part. Certainly, it should never have broken or broken repeatedly. Certainly it should've been fixed... and it might HAVE been if you hadn't waited so long to take it in. Your reaction, though, is seemingly WAY out of proportion to the injury. Punishment doesn't fit the crime; carpet doesn't match the drapes...
Good luck with whatever brand you buy next.

Actually the quote was. I will never buy another NEW Harley. I have owned a Harley Davidson Motorcycle since 1975 and I will continue to ride them. I just won't give The Motor Company any of my money again.  And yes it is THE PRINCIPLE. But it's not only this bike. It's what I hear from people that work on them for a living!!!! The penny pinchers are going to run this company into the ground.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #66 on: July 10, 2015, 06:19:53 PM »

Yo Dawg....

Don't :wall:... I relate some of these posts to the "rookie" to the FD showing up knowing everything and can do it better then those much senior to him... our experiences and what we have learned don't mean jack... let them live/learn.... when the Kool-Aid goes sour on them... then they will know. ;)

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #67 on: July 10, 2015, 08:56:02 PM »

Yo Dawg....

Don't :wall:... I relate some of these posts to the "rookie" to the FD showing up knowing everything and can do it better then those much senior to him... our experiences and what we have learned don't mean jack... let them live/learn.... when the Kool-Aid goes sour on them... then they will know. ;)

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

LMAO Gary!!! You know you are correct. But not being the MEAN DAWG. I will gladly pick them up brush them off and LAUGH!!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #68 on: July 10, 2015, 09:16:41 PM »

LMAO Gary!!! You know you are correct. But not being the MEAN DAWG. I will gladly pick them up brush them off and LAUGH!!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
That's what we do :2vrolijk_21:...

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

red ben59

• 1K CVO Member
  • ALL GAVE SOME SOME GAVE ALL
    • NC

• CVO1: 08 FXDSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLHTCUSE4
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #69 on: July 10, 2015, 10:09:01 PM »

WOW, This has been fun to follow. DC I have had issues with the MOCO also. But I still want my H.D.'s over any other. Maybe we have a sickness.  :nixweiss:

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #70 on: July 11, 2015, 08:25:47 AM »

WOW, This has been fun to follow. DC I have had issues with the MOCO also. But I still want my H.D.'s over any other. Maybe we have a sickness.  :nixweiss:

I have to agree. I love my Harleys. Been riding them for tooooooo long. Back in the day when I first started riding you could only get Harley Tees in black. I had a woman come up and tell me that people that WORSHIPED THE DEVIL wore black tee shirts!!!!! I kid you not. 

I have a 2014 SE Limited now and it has a ton of warranty problems including the THIRD clutch recall. The penny pinchers are going to drive this company out of business if they don't smarten up. CLUTCH RECALL?????? Are you F$%KING KIDDING ME!!!!! The hydraulic clutch assembly on out bikes has been in production since 2001 or 2002. I know GRC would know this for sure. It has been STANDARD on all Screaming Eagle Models since 2003. It has worked for 10 years with little problems. Yet to save a few dollars the Motor Company makes changes. The Motor Company rolls the dice every time they sell a SE Model with the 110 motor. Lifter failure, Crank assembly problems and the list goes on and on. Lets not forget our friends on here that bought 2007 and 2008 models. The cylinders that were manufactured in China had the liners slipping. A huge recall. Some people are still having problems. We buy THE FLAGSHIP models that Harley produces but we have the most problems.

To all of my friends on here, I have been around here for over 10 years on this site. I always try to bring some laughter into the mix of things. That is how I roll. I consider ALL of you my friend rather we have met in person or not. Yes this thread started out as a rant about a bike that I still say should have covered under the Motor Company's Warranty. It's not about the money I will have to pay to fix it. It's the principal of the whole incident. The Motor Company has been SCREWING the very people that buy their TOP OF THE LINE Motorcycles. The same top if the line Motorcycles that have more problems then their standard Motorcycles. But yet we continue to buy them. Myself included. I'm not sure what drives us to these Motorcycles knowing in the long run we have a very good chance of getting screwed by The Motor Company. Is it the paint????? Is it the chrome????? Is it all the new features????? Is it the fact that we are driving the so called best of the best????? I really wish I knew. My Friend Jerry (GRC) said about 9 years ago he would never buy another NEW Harley Davidson till the Motor Company changed their thinking and started making a better product. He has held true to his word. Maybe we all could learn a lesson from THE OLD WISE ONE!!!!!!! But I seriously doubt it!!!!

Bottom line, I WANT MY BIKE FIXED UNDER THE WARRANTY PLAN THAT WAS GIVEN TO ME AT PURCHASE!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #71 on: July 11, 2015, 11:29:38 AM »

I don't know if the MOCO is seriously wounded or "just a scratch" financially with it's appeared business practices of cutting corners for profit. As long as buying a bike is an emotional purchase and not a financially smart one when you think about it.
They have quite the P.R. juggernaut going on with not just advertising but HOG membership, free coffee at many dealerships and all the benefit poker runs/bike shows/t-shirts  etc.
As many have said they sell a lifestyle not just a product.......and they can promote it with such statements like "if you have to ask you wouldn't understand!" some could express that as "I don't know and can't explain it to you.." Others would say I can't rationally explain it to you and my children might say it as "cause so..."
I know for many buying a H-D brings back warm memories of our growing up riding with our fathers or uncles or a neighbor and loving the sound and feeling of freedom and power. We tell ourselves that one day I will own one and eventually we do. Others buy one for not only how it brings back memories or good feelings it is an image thing and we love how we think we look on a H-D. The reality may not match the image we think we create though.

If we took the emotion out of our purchase would we really buy a Harley? Probably not for it's power/handling/ or features especially for it's price.
So maybe the MOCO can survive if they stay with what they do best, as selling the emotional area not the rational financial side of things?

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #72 on: July 12, 2015, 12:04:49 PM »

I don't know if the MOCO is seriously wounded or "just a scratch" financially with it's appeared business practices of cutting corners for profit. As long as buying a bike is an emotional purchase and not a financially smart one when you think about it.
They have quite the P.R. juggernaut going on with not just advertising but HOG membership, free coffee at many dealerships and all the benefit poker runs/bike shows/t-shirts  etc.
As many have said they sell a lifestyle not just a product.......and they can promote it with such statements like "if you have to ask you wouldn't understand!" some could express that as "I don't know and can't explain it to you.." Others would say I can't rationally explain it to you and my children might say it as "cause so..."
I know for many buying a H-D brings back warm memories of our growing up riding with our fathers or uncles or a neighbor and loving the sound and feeling of freedom and power. We tell ourselves that one day I will own one and eventually we do. Others buy one for not only how it brings back memories or good feelings it is an image thing and we love how we think we look on a H-D. The reality may not match the image we think we create though.

If we took the emotion out of our purchase would we really buy a Harley? Probably not for it's power/handling/ or features especially for it's price.
So maybe the MOCO can survive if they stay with what they do best, as selling the emotional area not the rational financial side of things?

I don't really know either. It is people our age that are keeping them afloat for sure. But they need to make some changes before it is too late.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #73 on: July 12, 2015, 02:36:35 PM »

I have stayed out of this discussion for a reason, but now I enter it with a new observation.
I can't believe anyone really thinks the Motor Company gives a good chit about their customers.
In the years I have been on this thread I have seen complaints on just about everything CVO and Harley related problems. I have been asked by a HD factory representative what it would take for me to buy a new CVO. ( This happened in MV a few years ago. ) My main answer was when the MOCO starts to care about their customers and not just the $$$$. I still have my 1999 Road Glide and have no plans to get rid of it. NO WARRANTY and happy.
Now as far as the subject of Dawgs problem, they did not put a time limit on it and in South Carolina that means NO F**KING TIME LIMIT PERIOD. The MOCO would have to honor the extension. Then I would hit them with the LEMON law.
So my next bike is going to be an OCC Chopper, NOT!  :'(
Mike
 :drink:

Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #74 on: July 12, 2015, 03:27:02 PM »

Hey Mike, if you ever break down down close to me here's all the road side assistance card you'll ever need  :2vrolijk_21: .

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #75 on: July 12, 2015, 03:35:21 PM »

Hey Mike, if you ever break down down close to me here's all the road side assistance card you'll ever need  :2vrolijk_21: .

Thanks Don, I'll keep that card close by. Just one question, Do I have be broke down?
Mike
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #76 on: July 12, 2015, 03:39:38 PM »

Thanks Don, I'll keep that card close by. Just one question, Do I have be broke down?
Mike

Nah, f$%* it; you don't even have to be named Mike :2vrolijk_21: .

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #77 on: July 12, 2015, 03:41:38 PM »

Hey Dawg, you recognize that pic?  It's an oldie from 2005 :drink: .

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #78 on: July 12, 2015, 03:51:56 PM »

Hey Dawg, you recognize that pic?  It's an oldie from 2005 :drink: .

Sure do Don!!!! At the factory and I took my 2002 Fireman's Ultra that day.  I left there and went to Zippers that day. I believe I had a problem with the Thundermax on Ole  Punkin. Good time for sure!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #79 on: July 12, 2015, 03:55:55 PM »

Sure do Don!!!! At the factory and I took my 2002 Fireman's Ultra that day.  I left there and went to Zippers that day. I believe I had a problem with the Thundermax on Ole  Punkin. Good time for sure!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG

And it was a COLD ride in for you over the mountain that morning.  I remember the ride up from Maggie Valley for Bill and I the day before.  Whole day in the 30s and low 40s and we froze our nuts off.  The bikes loved it.  Our nuts did not.  Damn that was a fun trip that year.

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #80 on: July 12, 2015, 03:58:22 PM »

I have stayed out of this discussion for a reason, but now I enter it with a new observation.
I can't believe anyone really thinks the Motor Company gives a good chit about their customers.
In the years I have been on this thread I have seen complaints on just about everything CVO and Harley related problems. I have been asked by a HD factory representative what it would take for me to buy a new CVO. ( This happened in MV a few years ago. ) My main answer was when the MOCO starts to care about their customers and not just the $$$$. I still have my 1999 Road Glide and have no plans to get rid of it. NO WARRANTY and happy.
Now as far as the subject of Dawgs problem, they did not put a time limit on it and in South Carolina that means NO F**KING TIME LIMIT PERIOD. The MOCO would have to honor the extension. Then I would hit them with the LEMON law.
So my next bike is going to be an OCC Chopper, NOT!  :'(
Mike

Mike it's the same in Maryland. The problem is no one challenges the Motor Company in a Court of Law. I still may. Not because it's a big ticket item, but because of the principal of the problem. I am tired of hearing about all of the problems on here. Some get resolved and others don't. And this is just with CVO's. Believe me I hear about the other trash they put out here on the street as well from a friend.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #81 on: July 12, 2015, 04:01:30 PM »

And it was a COLD ride in for you over the mountain that morning.  I remember the ride up from Maggie Valley for Bill and I the day before.  Whole day in the 30s and low 40s and we froze our nuts off.  The bikes loved it.  Our nuts did not.  Damn that was a fun trip that year.

I love riding in all weather. But it was so cold that morning when I stopped at McDonalds in New Oxford I couldn't get my hands to stop shaking. Good memories though!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

kojack

• gearhead!
  • Senior CVO Member
    • NL

• CVO1: 2001 Sceamin eagle road glide (custom)
« Reply #82 on: July 16, 2015, 06:25:41 PM »

[/color]

Be Safe

THE DAWG
right on

Just because I own a lot of things I work hard for, someone should not honor their warranty?  That is the most idiotic thing I have heard.  That is called jealousy.  You should really check that at the door. 

As I type this my serg is sitting in my garage with other bikes, atvs cars etc.  I am actually sipping on a fine beer that is brewed in small batches in Quebec, in my 45 ft diesel pusher motor home.   I guess no warranties apply to me.   maybe when I get to my home in Florida, I can check down there.   DAWG,  I AM RIGHT THERE WITH YOU BROTHER.   fight them to the end.  Peace out with all your toys, you earned them.  Just as I did with my family.
Mavericks RC
MFFM